VMware Communities
satyagrahi
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot install Windows XP SP3 from .exe file

My org got a volume licence from Microsoft and we downloaded the XP SP3 - comes as a .exe file.

Cannot get VMware to run it or install it.

Cannot create a boot cd from the download - at least that is what the instructions say.

Running 1.1.2 on Leopard

Please help!

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you're talking about Windows XP Service Pack 3 (e.g. WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe) then this has to be executed from within the Windows Virtual Machine in order to be applied or the contents of the .exe extracted to a folder and then be burned to a CD.

You really should be asking your Organization's IT Department for help with this!

0 Kudos
satyagrahi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, i thought i downloaded the entire XP software.

Could it be that i downloaded only the patch SP3: SW_CD_Windows_XP_Professional_32BIT_English_32_XPsp3_MLF_X14-73974.EXE 550.9 Mb.

Sorry, we are a nonprofit of 5 folks, no IT dept handy. Its the contributions of folks like you who help navigate us thru this tech maze.

We moved to Apple to simplify, but need to have a couple of Windows instances for certain software ... Smiley Happy

Don't know if i need to burn a CD with this image and then Fusion would recognize it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You're going to have to execute that file on a Windows system to extract the .img or .iso that it contains and then go from there.

satyagrahi
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, it turned out that it was a zip file and created the img file.

have no access to a windows machine, but got a windows xp sp2 and then installed and then installed sp3.

0 Kudos