VMware Communities
Andersdan
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot get internet connectivity in my Windows platform, 3rd time happening

As above, installed VMware in September after Parallels went awry with service. 

At first, VMware was fantastic. Then the problems began, and now I cannot get help nor figure out how to purchase a single incident ticket (again) to solve the same problem that occurred two times already in October.

Need help figuring out how to solve the issue permanently or how to buy a support incident to solve the problem.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Fusion version?

Host OS version?

Guest OS version?

VM network configuration?

Troubleshooting already performed?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Andersdan
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Version 12

Host OS version Windows 10 running on iOS Vsn 12.0.1
Guest version; Sorry I don’t know
VM Network configuration; I am a single user
Trouble Shooting performed twice in October for identical problem.

Does this help?
0 Kudos
Andersdan
Contributor
Contributor

Also, version 19 in the compatibility area of my settings for Windows/Vmware

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No, that doesn't really help.

Host OS is the version of MacOS on your Mac

Guest OS is what you're running in the VM, so Windows 10

VM network is what connection type the VM network adapter uses, look at the VM settings and it will probably say NAT or Bridged

And by troubleshooting I wondered what you had actually done already to try and resolve the issue:

• What can you access?
  • What can't you access?
  • Can Windows resolve internet names?
  • Is it intermittent or once it's not working it just won't work?
  • When it doesn't work, can your Mac still access the internet?
  • What type of physical adapter are you using in your mac?
  • What browser are you using in Windows?

That kind of thing...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
fiorillo
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same or similar problem.  I have been using Fusion since version 1 and after my last upgrade am finding my internet just goes away.  I can only resolve it by shutting down Fusion entirely and restarting it.  After a while, it loses internet.  It does not matter if I use NAT or Bridge.

Any ideas?

Fusion 12.1.2

Host OS: macOS 11.6 (20G165)

Guest OS: WIndows 10 Pro 19043.1288

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Same troubleshooting questions to you as per my most recent reply…

0 Kudos
fiorillo
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies, left that off.

• What can you access? - Everything runs, just no internet access.
  • What can't you access? - Nothing with internet access works.  Outlook/Teams/Edge/Chrome all cannot connect
  • Can Windows resolve internet names? No
  • Is it intermittent or once it's not working it just won't work?  Just won't work. When it first starts happening though sometimes Outlook can't connect but Teams stays connected.  I also occasionally get some weird cert errors for Outlook.
  • When it doesn't work, can your Mac still access the internet?  Yes, no problems with the Mac connecting even when Windows cannot at all.
  • What type of physical adapter are you using in your mac?  Normally I use NAT.  Now that this problem has happened I have tried Bridge with no success.
  • What browser are you using in Windows?  Mostly Chrome but sometimes Edge.
0 Kudos
mappoint
Contributor
Contributor

I have nearly the same problem with Fusion 12.2.0 / Monterey 12.0.1 Host / Windows 7 Guest.

The problem started with Monterey.

0 Kudos
fiorillo
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I am running the same version of Fusion.  I upgraded in prep for Monterey but haven't upgraded to Monterey.  Maybe it's that version of Fusion that has the problem (12.2.0 18760249).

0 Kudos
srwarner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm using Host macOS 12.0.1, VMware 12.2 and guest

• macOS 12.0 - works (shared network) (http, https)
  • windows 11.0 -works 
  • windows 10.0 -works
  • macOS 11.6.1 - works

Can you take a network sniff, to see what's happening at the TPC/IP level?  (I might be able to help diagnose)

ps, I tried Bridge before, for other reasons, and was able to get some of the tcp transactions to complete, yet there's something happening when authenticating with a certificate that fails.  I chose to go back to share rather than try to root-cause why.

0 Kudos
fiorillo
Contributor
Contributor

I am not familiar with TCP/IP networking sniffing tools.  Would I do this on the host or guest OS?  What would I use?

0 Kudos
sanderadio
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a similar issue after my (Host) iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) falls asleep. After waking it up, the Guest OS lost its internet connection (completely for any app, Safari, Mail, Transmit, Abobe apps, anything). Never had that before, this started happening since I upgraded to Monterey and VMware 12.2.

VMware: v12.2.1

Host OS: macOS Monterey v12.0.1

Guest OS: masOS High Sierra 10.13.6

VM network: "Share with my Mac" 

After quitting the VMware app (with Suspending the Guest OS, saving virtual machine state) and starting the app, the internet to the Guest OS comes back. My Host OS keeps its internet connection without interruption after waking from sleep. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
fiorillo
Contributor
Contributor

I have noticed that my issue tends to happen after recovery from sleep as well.  And looks like upgrading to the new version 12.2.1 will not help given sanderradio's post here.  Has vmware identified that there is a problem?

Is it possible for my to downgrade back to VMware 12.1 and would that fix the problem?

0 Kudos
CafNetMatt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,

First, this is a VM that I have used for years that started with the networkiing issues yesterday after upgrading to 12.2.1.  Sadly, I can't remember if I was running 12.2.0 or 12.1.2 prior to the upgrade.  I do know that the upgrade did not require VMware Tools be reinstalled so no version change there.

Fusion version?  12.2.1

Host OS version?  MacOS 11.6.1

Guest OS version?  Windows 10 Pro 21H1

VM network configuration? Single adapter bridged mode

Troubleshooting already performed?

1. Removed all network adapters, rebooted and re-added a single adapter.  Originally had 2.

2. Reinstalled VMware Tools

3. Ookla Speed test:  Guest:  3-5 Mbps down 11 Mbps up.  Host:  56Mbps down 9.5Mbps up.  My circuit is 60Mbps down and 10Mbps up.  I know speed tests are more "grain of salt" but I think this comparison shows there's an issue in the vmnet side of things.  

4. Wireshark Captures:  Guest:  lost of TCP out of order, RSK,ACK, TCP ACKed unseen segment, TLS1.2 ignore unknown record.  These are all to IPs owned by Microsoft & Amazon AWS.  I've got captures but there rather big.

5. Tried creating a fresh Windows 10 guest from MS's latest ISO.  During the setup, it was unable to reach MS's Internet presence since I couldn't use my MS email address as my user account.

If you need more info let me know but I may not have 12.2.1 installed for long.  I'm going to downgrade Fusion to 12.2.0 or 12.1.2 to hopefully get this VM running again.  I've got a project with a tight deadline and I NEED to get Visio running again.  With the networking all wonky, my Windows installation is showing unregistered and so is my O365 installation!

0 Kudos
srwarner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wireshark is what I would have suggested - sorry notification didnt come to me during the week.

If you want to upload the Wireshark to this, I can look into - though the analysis likely won't resolve the perf issue you are experiencing, and only help isolate the 'web' traffic rejection issue.

0 Kudos
erikread
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Similar issue here. There are several threads on the issue. 

12.2.1 networking (NAT) works great. 12.2.0 and 12.2.1 no networking via NAT. Bridged networking works for me.

Originally updated on Big Sur then Monterey.

Same behavior.

0 Kudos
CafNetMatt
Contributor
Contributor

I downgraded my installation from 12.2.1 to 12.2.0 and bridged networking is operating properly again.  Speed tests show proper speeds, browsers work and Microsoft activation worked.

Apple has made lots of drastic changes to the way that MacOS runs in the last few versions so I get issues.  I just hope these problems get ironed out sooner rather than later.

For now I won't be upgrading Fusion.

0 Kudos
fiorillo
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates or progress on this issue?  Today I can't get it to network connect at all despite numerous reboots.  Can I downgrade from 12.2.1 to 12.1?

0 Kudos