VMware Communities
Tony030942
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot get Migration Assistant to import external OSX 10.7 to Guest OSX 10.7 in Fusion 13

I have OSX lion set up and running in MVware Fusion 13 on a 2019 Intel iMac.

Can anyone explain how I use Migration Assistant and to import settings, files and apps from 2007 iMac into the Guest VMware Lion

When I open Migration assistant from within MVware Guest Account Lion, Migration Assistant is not able to find any servers/drives/files.

I have external drives visible on Host desktop but Fusion 13 window identifies the external drive 'Lion (ASMedia ASM1156-PM)' offering me the option of importing to Host or Guest then states "unable to connect to its ideal host controller.” I am warned connection may make MVware unstable. I go ahead and click import and that is the end of the process. No external drive icon on Guest Lion desktop. Finder has external disk ticked in preferences for visibility along with HDD and iMacs etc.

I assume Migration assistant wants a Mac attached. So I connected 2007 iMac to 2019 iMac via ethernet and open file sharing on both computers. I also open Migration Assistant on 2007 iMac, set "To another Mac".  I run Migration Assistant from Guest Lion but Migration Assistant can find nothing. (I have detached all external drives for this exercise). Search spiral rotates ad infinitum.

Technogeezer asked me to check VMware USB settings which I found at 2.0. Decided to refit the garden shed while I waited for USB 2.0 to operate but not such luck, it is still spinning! Garden shed is completed.

Is this a limitation caused by the free, basic application? Any idea’s will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tony030942
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The settings will now open after the VM is saved. At this point, resize the "Hard Disk (SATA)" virtual disk to the size you desire from the default of 40GB. In my example, I chose 80GB. Click "Apply" and note the warning about using operating system's tools to resize the partitions in the virtual machine. That's the clue on what we need to do next.

Power on the virtual machine and wait for the Mac OS X Lion installer to boot.

I certainly did follow your directions to the letter. Fusion 13 on Ventura 13.6.1 does not behave as you describe.

1. After VM is saved, Settings appear simultaneously with the VM guest window. If I configure Settings, apply them and click on VM, I will absolutely finish up facing the blue Boot Manager with no OS. See screenshot Boot Manager.

2. I must download and fully install mac os Lion, register with Apple and configure it fully for use. Then shut down VM Lion after installation so I can configure Settings. I notice when virtual disk is set to 300GB it takes longer than expected to apply setting which is a positive sign. Once Settings are saved I reopen VM Lion, open Disk Utility and lo - a 322GB volume. See 300GB volume.

Next I open Migration Assistant in 2007 iMac and configure ‘to’ 2019 iMac linked via Ethernet. In Settings Network was set to ‘Bridged - Automatic’.

To my delight the process now works as the volume can now accommodate the data. Just a mere 5 hour 6 minute transfer process at USB 2 speed.

I feel so relieved I have reached the summit of Mt Everest and can view the peaks of the Himalayers all the way to the horizon! I think you must be relieved also Sherpa Paul, it has been quite a journey.

Without your patient support I would still be trolling through MVware website information and not understanding it.

A final question: I should try Adobe CS5 on later OS’s such as Mountain Lion or Yosamite. If I do so, should I use the same darwinPro15 tools or does a different  os require a different package? Which tools should I select for each OS?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A final question: I should try Adobe CS5 on later os’s such as Mountain Lion or Yosamite.If I do so can I use the same darwinPro15 tools or does a different  os require a different package? Which should I select?

You have to use darwinPre15.iso with 10.10 (Yosemite) and earlier - there are no newer version of tools for those versions.

The "Pre15" in the ISO filename indicates the version of the Darwin kernel the package is designed for, not the macOS version. Yosemite contains a Darwin kernel version 14 - hence it is the last macOS version that can use that version of the tools installer.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Migration assistant is intended - especially in that era - to be used during the initial setup.  The best option is to make a full clone of your real system (carbon copy cloner) to a USB drive, and plug that USB drive into your new host, then during the initial OS install (before you create a user), plug the drive in and attach to the guest.  Then migrate from other computer will work.

Ethernet, USB to USB and thunderbolt will not work with a guest.

0 Kudos
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

An initial comment: I agree with ColoradoMarmot that you should be doing the migration while Setup Assistant is running during initial setup of Lion after it was installed, as that produces a better outcome with older macOS versions (newer versions are better at replacing accounts but you can still end up with user iD number mismatches if you aren't careful).

That is probably not the reason you are having trouble with this.

I'm curious why you want to go to the trouble of running Lion in a VM. Do you have applications which are incompatible with a somewhat newer macOS version such as El Capitan? That would probably be easier due to supporting USB 3.0, and it can migrate from a source which was running Lion.

One point you need to be aware of: even if you manage to migrate your Lion system to a VM (running any macOS version), you may find that some of your applications don't work properly in a VM due to the lack of 3D graphics support for macOS guests. There was experimental 3D support in later macOS versions but it doesn't work for older macOS versions which you may need for legacy applications.

There are some surprising cases, e.g. Apple's iWork '09 suite (or earlier) uses 3D graphics to render all documents, so when run in a VM its document windows are blank (apart from the controls around the edges).

@Tony030942 wrote:

I have external drives visible on Host desktop but Fusion 13 window identifies the external drive 'Lion (ASMedia ASM1156-PM)' offering me the option of importing to Host or Guest then states "unable to connect to its ideal host controller.” I am warned connection may make MVware unstable. I go ahead and click import and that is the end of the process. No external drive icon on Guest Lion desktop. Finder has external disk ticked in preferences for visibility along with HDD and iMacs etc.

You should be choosing the Guest option at that point.

As noted in the earlier thread and you mentioned having already done this: you need to have set VMware Fusion to use USB 2.0 mode for a Lion guest, because Lion doesn't support USB 3.0.

USB 2.0 support in Fusion can be problematic with peripherals that also support USB 3.0, due to the way that USB controllers are logically separated in the host Mac. If the host Mac and drive both support USB 3.0, the drive will connect to the Mac using USB 3.0 and will not be visible to the USB 2.0 controller. VMware Fusion is trying to map the drive to the guest from the USB 2.0 controller, but it isn't there so nothing appears in the guest.

Try this: plug the drive into a hub which only supports USB 2.0 and not USB 3.0. That forces the drive to be in USB 2.0 mode, and forces the Mac to connect it to the USB 2.0 controller, where VMware Fusion should be able to map it to the guest.

I assume Migration assistant wants a Mac attached.

Every version of Migration or Setup Assistant supports an external drive as the source (e.g. a clone of the source Mac, or a Time Machine backup of the source Mac).

When two real Macs are involved, the source Mac can also be in "Target Disk Mode" (originally Firewire, later Thunderbolt, a few Macs can do this via USB) but this probably won't work if you are trying to migrate to a VM guest: Firewire or Thunderbolt remapping is not possible, USB will run into the same problem with USB 3.0 vs 2.0 if it is even supported by your source Mac.

The network-based method (with the source Mac running Migration Assistant in "To another Mac" mode) was added as a feature of Migration/Setup assistant somewhere around Snow Leopard. This could potentially work with a Fusion guest as the destination, but in order to do so, the VM guest and the other Mac must be on the same local network so that they can see each other via Bonjour. With older versions of VMware Fusion running on older versions of macOS, this was possible by having the guest network in bridged mode, but recent versions (Fusion 12.2 and later running on macOS Big Sur or later) use the Apple Hypervisor which limits some networking options. If your guest network is going through a NAT layer then your Lion guest won't be able to see the source Mac.

Is this a limitation caused by the free, basic application?

Certainly not for the USB connection method, and probably not for the network method.

Fusion Professional (not just paying for Fusion Player) adds some extra networking features, but can't get around limitations imposed by Apple's hypervisor on macOS Big Sur and later.

Due to these sorts of limitations with Apple's hypervisor, I'm still using Fusion 12.1.x on macOS Catalina. As I only need to run my VMs occasionally, my 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro is set up with two startup volumes: it normally starts up into a reasonably current macOS version, and I reboot onto the Catalina volume if I need to run Fusion. This is not my primary Mac so rebooting is not an inconvenience.

My use of old macOS VMs is mostly for comparison or historic curiosity, plus a small selection of occasionally needed applications which I've confirmed work OK in a VM. I installed them fresh, never bothered migrating anything to a VM.

For applications which don't work in a VM (or don't make sense due to hardware requirements) I'm keeping a few working old Macs with older macOS versions. Mac Minis are good for this due to size, with a shared monitor/keyboard/mouse (or accessing only via a network and some kind of screen sharing).

0 Kudos
Tony030942
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Quite agree Colarado Marmot.

I was able to download and install Lion in Guest VM but after OS install, when Migration Assistant choice was offered and activated it could not ‘see’ the connected external drive carrying a bootable clone of the original Lion OX. So I ticked ‘later’, continued the installation figuring once the OS was working I had Migration Assistant plus network or CCC install options. It is probable I was connected by USB 3.0 so I shall trash current Guest and reinstall Lion via OSX and USB 2.0. and try again.

0 Kudos
Tony030942
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your considered reply dempson.

1. I use Adobe CS5 suite for graphic design and have been running an 2007 iMac for decades in order to do so. I have a considerable library of design components which I wish to preserve and have access to. After Lion, CS5 apps, Illustrator and Photoshop, get the odd glitches in later systems. I am trying an upgrade to a 2011 iMac but that has GPU issues which make the future uncertain.

I have a 2019 iMac for general use and have adopted Affinity Design suite for current graphic work. Affinity imports all Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator files so this appears the most sensible option.

2. The VMware Fusion idea is an experiment to see if I could circumscribe iMac 2011 hardware weakness with a faster/better option. I recognise the potential for incompatibilities running software in VM. Only way to find out is to test.

3. Your advice matches that of Colarado Marmot and I shall try that out and report back. I appreciate all your background comments. In the past, between iMacs, I have used Ethernet to get more speed than USB2.0 or Firewire offer and that has worked for importing cloned systems, but Migration Assistant as you know, is more selective.

Thank you for the extensive background considerations. I realise that being a dinosaur with old applications asks for trouble but the Adobe suite does all I need. Unfortunately IT progress demands that once you have achieved a pinnacle experience, another route must be found to the same destination so the economics of obsolescence can generate continued profit for the manufacturer. Happily, I continue draw and paint without fear of redundancy.

Many Thanks.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You just rang a bell.  Try getting a USB 2.0 hub and put it between the device and the computer.  That will force it to USB 2.0 (sometimes the software versions are flaky.).

0 Kudos
Tony030942
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK. failure!

1. Deleted Guest account in Fusion. Opened up 2007 iMac and connected via USB3.0 cable, (I have no USB2.0). I created a new Lion Guest iso and installed it. Set up process to Migration Assistant; ensured 2007 iMac Migration Assistant was set ‘To another Mac’ then tried to select source which Guest Lion could not find.

2. Noting that Migration Assistant asked for the computer to be connected to same network via Ethernet I ditched USB and connected via Ethernet. No source computer found! I checked Ethernet connection and found the source computer confirmed connection as did the 2019 iMac.

3. Created a new Guest Account running Yosamite 10.10.2. Tried Migration Assistant as above with both USB3.0 and Ethernet cables. Source disks could not be found.

I do not have a USB2.0 dock but with USB2.0 ports on the 2007 iMac directly connected that should be irrelevent? The USB 3.1 cable should work as it is backwards compatible. My old external LaCie drive connectivity is either Firewire 400 and 800, or USB3.0.

Clue: Although Ethernet showing connected on 2007 iMac,  Connection is automatic on Ventura 2019 iMac. Settings on 2019 Ventura merely show Self Assigned IP with Yellow not Green highlight.

In Ventura I cannot find how to manually assign the 2007iMac IP Address. Given Migration Assistant requires Ethernet this is the current problem.

0 Kudos
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@Tony030942 wrote:

OK. failure!

1. Deleted Guest account in Fusion. Opened up 2007 iMac and connected via USB3.0 cable, (I have no USB2.0). I created a new Lion Guest iso and installed it. Set up process to Migration Assistant; ensured 2007 iMac Migration Assistant was set ‘To another Mac’ then tried to select source which Guest Lion could not find.

That won't work. "To Another Mac" mode implies "via a network". You cannot run a network over a USB cable from a 2007 iMac.

The Target Disk Mode method I mentioned in my previous message also won't work via USB - the source Mac is the one that needs to be in this mode, and the 2007 iMac does not support USB Target Disk Mode (this feature was introduced for the USB-C ports on the 12-inch MacBook, because those models don't do Thunderbolt).

2. Noting that Migration Assistant asked for the computer to be connected to same network via Ethernet I ditched USB and connected via Ethernet. No source computer found! I checked Ethernet connection and found the source computer confirmed connection as did the 2019 iMac.

As I explained in my previous message, you won't be able to get migration to a VM working via Ethernet (or Wi-Fi) because of limitations in networking imposed by Apple's hypervisor in macOS Big Sur and later. Your best chance of getting this working would be if the newer Mac was running macOS Catalina and you were doing this in VMware Fusion 12.1.2.

I've just done a partial test of this on my setup:

Source computer is a 2009 Mac Mini running macOS 10.11 El Capitan (I don't have any Macs running Lion to test with). Connected to my LAN by Ethernet. Ran Migration Assistant, put it in "To Another Mac" mode.

Target computer is a macOS El Capitan VM running in VMware Fusion 12.1.2 on my 2019 MacBook Pro booted into macOS 10.15 Catalina. Host Mac also connected via Ethernet to my LAN. VM network is configured for Bridged mode. Ran Migration Assistant, put in "From Another Mac" mode.

The VM can see the Mac Mini as a source, I confirmed the random number ID to allow the network connection, and I was able to get as far as the category/folder selection screen (didn't bother to transfer anything as I don't want to do that).

Repeated the test, this time with the VM network in NAT mode which should be similar to what you get with VMware Fusion 13 on a newer macOS. To ensure nothing was remembered, I also restarted the VM . This time, the VM takes longer to show the Mac Mini as a potential source, but fails to connect to it, therefore as I thought, NAT breaks the ability to connect for a networked migration.

3. Created a new Guest Account running Yosamite 10.10.2. Tried Migration Assistant as above with both USB3.0 and Ethernet cables. Source disks could not be found.

Same problems as above. The version of macOS in the guest is not the problem. It is the version of macOS on the host (and as a side effect, limitations imposed on VMware Fusion guest networking).

I do not have a USB2.0 dock but with USB2.0 ports on the 2007 iMac directly connected that should be irrelevent?

The iMac has USB-A ports. It always acts as a USB host. You need a USB 2.0 peripheral (with USB-B or the mini/micro variant) to be able to connect the source to the VM running Lion.

With your attempt in [3] above, Yosemite is also too old to support USB 3.0 so it would also need to be set to USB 2.0 mode.

If you had a VM with El Capitan or later, that is new enough to support USB 3.1, which should allow a migration with your backup drive as a source (not directly from the iMac), but that will run into the problem that the applications you want to run don't work properly in a system newer than Lion.

The USB 3.1 cable should work as it is backwards compatible. My old external LaCie drive connectivity is either Firewire 400 and 800, or USB3.0.

A USB-A to USB-C (3.1) cable between two Macs won't achieve anything - the old Mac with USB-A can only act as a host and does not support USB-C alternate modes or peer-to-peer, the new Mac will also be trying to act as a USB host, so they cannot even see each other.

The LaCie drive's Firewire won't get you anywhere (Firewire and Thunderbolt cannot be bridged to a VM because they are too low-level), USB 3.0 won't work with a macOS VM running Yosemite or earlier because the VM has to be in USB 2.0 mode and Fusion cannot bridge the different USB versions together (unless you have an intervening USB 2.0 hub).

These options occur to me for ways you could migrate your 2007 iMac (or its backup) to a Lion VM.

(a) Try using a USB 2.0 cable with your LaCie drive. If the drive has a Micro-USB 3.0 connector, then you need a cable with a Micro-USB 2.0 plug (missing the "sidecar"). If the drive has a USB-B 3.0 connector, then you need a cable with a USB-B 2.0 plug (missing the "second layer"). If the drive works at all with that cable, then it will be in USB 2.0 mode when plugged into your Fusion hosting Mac, and Fusion should be able to remap it to the guest, and it can be the source for the migration.

(b) Locate a USB 2.0 hub (must have its own power supply), connect the LaCie drive to that and the hub to the Fusion hosting Mac, map it to the guest.

(c) Locate an old enough hard drive which is USB 2.0, clone your 2007 iMac to that, then plug it directly into the Fusion hosting Mac, map it to the guest.

(d) I haven't tried this (any comments from others?), but if you have plenty of disk space on the host Mac, a disk image might be an option. You would need to clone the LaCie drive to a disk image on the Fusion hosting Mac, then connect that disk image to the VM in way that makes it appear to be an attached drive, then Migration/Setup assistant should let you use it as a source to migrate into the VM.

(e) Use VMware Fusion 12 running on Catalina, so you can use bridged networking and do a migration via Ethernet. Steps:

• Get an licence for Fusion 12 (Player is free for personal use, downgrade from 13 required if you need a paid licence).
  • Install macOS Catalina on a second volume on your Mac (you can add a volume in Disk Utility without mucking around with partitioning, and they will share free space).
  • Boot into the Catalina volume, set it up as required, install VMware Fusion 12. Must be Fusion 12.1.2 or earlier, not 12.2 or later.
  • Create a new Lion VM, ideally on a third volume which is accessible from both Catalina and current macOS systems (this is how my 2019 MacBook Pro is set up).
  • Set networking on the Lion VM to bridged mode.
  • You should then be able to migrate from the 2007 iMac via Ethernet (with the 2007 iMac in “To another Mac” mode) during initial setup of the Lion VM system.
  • Once the migration is complete and you have tested the VM to your satisfaction, you should be able to shut down the VM, boot into your current OS on the host, and run the current VMware Fusion and use the same VM.

0 Kudos
Tony030942
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Dempson,

Apologies for late response. Life intervened!

First, I wish to thank you for the incredible amount of time you have spent testing options and helping me understand the obstacles; I am greatly indebted to you.

I baked the faulty GPU and got it working in the 2011 iMac, but it failed a second time after five weeks. I read that the lead free solder formula for that AMD/Apple series is the cause of the problem. I seek a replacement GPU which is a continuing journey. This supports my determination to get VMware working as an alternative.

As I said earlier, none of my existing La Cie external drives seemed to support USB 2.0. Happily, I have just discovered a USB 2.0 type B connection in one external drive. Even more remarkable, I find I have a USB 2.0A to USB 2.0B cable so the world is my oyster! So I have opened the external and inserted the original 3.5 HDD which has Three OSX volumes; El Capitan, Yosamite and Lion. MVware Fusion 13.5 asked me to connect and El Capitan HDD immediately appeared on the desktop. Yosamite and Lion are unrecognised just as you remarked. I am currently preparing a Catalina Volume.

One question: My impression is you are proposing I use Catalina with Fusion 12.1 as a permanent proposal for running Lion.

However, once Migration Assistant has imported Lion settings, is it feasible to upgrade Fusion and OSX?

For example, can I clone the entire Lion Guest Account of Fusion 12.1 and import it into Fusion 13.5 and run on Ventura?

Would that work?

Cheers,

Tony.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You're in a tough situation.

Catalina doesn't get patches anymore, and has known security vulnerabilities.  It probably shouldn't be exposed to the internet.  Fusion 13 has depreciated MacOS guest support, and VMWare isn't doing any intel development either from what it appears.  But it's a moot point - because the 2011 iMac isn't supported by Apple on Ventura, so Fusion 13 isn't supported on it (I presume you're talking about OpenCore).

Honestly, it's probably time to take a long hard look at why this is necessary.  Between stability and security, all those workloads - and that machine - need to be retired.

0 Kudos
Tony030942
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

Note: iMac is not using Apple Fusion Drive. I have upgraded NVME with 2TB WDSN770 and HDD to SATA Samsung 870 Evo as independent disks.

External LaCie powered HDD connected with USB 2.0. If I boot up using Option I see icons for external volumes El Capitan and Lion. Once in Catalina, only El Capitan HDD icon on desktop.

Progress:

I working on a dedicated Catalina 10.15.7 volume with VMware 12.1.2 installed and activated. Regarding Settings; have specified 2 cores and dedicated 4gb memory. Have ticked yes for full resolution of Retina Display and set Network adapter to Autodetect. USB 2.0 confirmed, all else at defaults. I looked for Tools for this version of VMware Fusion but could find none.

Have started Lion 10.7.6, iso install but when I clicked the on screen triangle to activate Lion install, I receive messages which I do not understand.
I need help with translation and directions to fix please.

1. Could not open /dev/vmmon: broken pipe.

2. Failed to initialize monitor device

3.Transport (VMDB) error - 14. Pipe connection has been broken

Would very much appreciate your assistance,

Cheers,

Tony

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I might have an idea what's going on, but will need to see a log file to make sure. Could you please attach the vmware.log file found in the virtual machine's  bundle? You can find it by:

• Locating the virtual machine in the Finder.
  • Right click on it and selecting "Show Package Contents"

A new Finder window will open showing the files that make up the VM. You will find the vmware.log file there. Please zip it up and attach it to a reply in this thread.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Tony030942
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the response Technogeezer.

I cannot get Right Click to bring down a submenu from Virtual Machine in Finder. Have tried R clicking with/without Control key. Have tried two finger with trackpad as well.

Can you give me a Terminal script to access/list  vmware.log?

Alternatively I can copy files from Library per below: There is a further list if you need more.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The files from /Library are not the ones I'm looking for. You've got something set up poorly if you can't get a menu to show up with a Control-click.

That being said, to access the file from the Terminal

Open the Terminal app

Type in the following (leaving a trailing space ) but do not hit return 

cd 

(make sure there  a space after the 'cd" you typed in above).

Open a Finder window and find the Virtual machine.  Drag it's icon into the Terminal window. The full path to the VM should fill in.

Now hit the return key. That'll change your working directory into the VM's bundle folder.

You should find the vmware.log file using 

ls -al vmware.log

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Tony030942
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick reply Paul,

Given the R-click issue I decided to start again from scratch. I trashed Fusion 12.1 and associated files then reinstalled Catalina via Apple Recovery. Then I installed Fusion 12.0.0 and dragged Lion iso. onto install window and then configured settings. Same failure, Lion was recognised but would not load due to broken pipe etc.

I tried Terminal exactly following your code but no vmware logs not found.

Again I tried R-click on Virtual Machine in Finder which reveals the regular menu but no sub-menu window. Control-click opens regular menu - no submenu. I did note that the first item in the Fusion menu was greyed out and stated ‘Mac OS is off’. I assume that is due to installation failing.

This is very frustrating for both of us.

I am using Catalina at Dempson suggestion: See details post 10/13/2023; The object being to avoid Apple Hypervisor so Migration Assistant can work. I feel the obsolescence factor is obstructing me. Dempson has tested his method but it seems MVware Fusion 12.0  and 12.1 will not cooperate.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you post the output of the following commands run from Terminal:

ls -ald /private/tmp
ls -al /private/tmp/vmware*

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Tony030942
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Paul,

Terminal Results:

tony01@iMac ~ % sudo cd /Volumes/Catalina/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app
Password:
tony01@iMac ~ % ls -al vmware.log
ls: vmware.log: No such file or directory
tony01@iMac ~ % ls -ald /private/tmp
drwxrwxrwt 5 root wheel 160 2 Dec 13:48 /private/tmp
tony01@iMac ~ % ls -al /private/tmp/vmware•
ls: /private/tmp/vmware•: No such file or directory
tony01@iMac ~ %

It seems VMware Fusion 12.0 is not completely installed?

I am finding VMware website does not work correctly with Catalina. That may also apply to installation of older VMware Fusion 12 installations? Drag and drop terminal files rejected saying I ‘do not have permission to upload images’. In other words, I am not logged in despite having done so via Customer Connect.

However Dempson is happily using Fusion 12.1.2 on Catalina. That said, he configured all his osx years ago before current upgrades created obsolescence.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The permissions on /private/tmp seem to be fine - so that's not the cause of your broken pipe message.

The vmware.log file I'm looking for is not found in the VMware Fusion.app file. If it's anywhere, it'll be in the virtual machine's "file" - it's actually a special type of folder with the name of the virtual machine and a .vmwarevm extension. That's where you need to look. 

If you don't find the file there, please collect a quick support package by:

• Open Fusion.
  • In the Fusion menu bar, click  Help > Collect Support Information... > Quick

Post the resulting zip file here.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Tony030942
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your patience Paul,

On Catalina Collect Support information results in request to manually locate. See .pmg below

VMware Tools.png

I tried manual search but cannot locate the appropriate MVware app.

Please forgive my ignorance: how do I apply this VMware path info?

0 Kudos
Tony030942
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Technogezer, I hope you have had and are enjoying a well earned holiday.

I have used the post Christmas break to entirely reload Catalina onto a dedicated Volume and load a fresh VMware Fusion 12.1.2 application getting the same broken pipe report as previously. I succeeded in accessing Error Collection Support Information and ran the tool in Terminal. Terminal commands you provided still do not work as expected, but I have found access to logs via Mac Console and via Control click MV application and trace path to Library. Broken pipe and other failures are listed in the Console vmware-usbarb-768.logcrash report. The mvware log list is long but I think I have sent you the pertinent section. I have alson included the vmware Package contents of the application.

My impression is there are files missing which need to be located and installed.

Your assistance would be appreciated.

0 Kudos