VMware Communities
santiandres33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot find any info about ¨An error occurred while deleting a snapshot: The system cannot find the file specified.¨, i guess it is first ever seen. in vmware fusion

Oddly, when I start my vm it is asking for the location of a .vmdk file, ( " File not found: /Users/XXXXX/Virtual Machines.localized/Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64.vmwarevm/Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64.vmdk" ) however the file Exists, and it  is in the expected directory. I have attached my .vmx file.

I also tried to delete snapshot but says: An error occurred while deleting a snapshot: The system cannot find the file specified.¨

I checked permissions and are fine.

Please PLEASE help.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your filelist confirms what Andre already said.

If you dont have copies of

Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-s014.vmdk

Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-s017.vmdk

here is a ugly workaround.

Make sure the VM is powered off and not opened in any window first.

Then we pick one of the other slices which looks like it is unsed (but not a last one ..)

and find a candidate in Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-000001-s019.vmdk

Then we do this

copy Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-000001-s019.vmdk to Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-s014.vmdk

copy Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-000001-s019.vmdk to Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-s017.vmdk

Apparently you have a significant amount of data for the range of slice 14 and 17 inside your snapshots so I only expect a minor data-corruption because of the missing parts of the basedisk

Ulli

View solution in original post

11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Rather than dumping your vmx file as text into your post, please use the “Attach” function in the bottom-right of the post creator. Same applies to log files. This makes threads easier to read once replies are added.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
santiandres33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got it, attached.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your vmx-file references

scsi0:0.fileName = "Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-000001.vmdk"

So go into the directory where the vmx-file is stored and check wether the missing file is stored in the same directory.

0 Kudos
santiandres33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@continuumYes, indeed is there

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

By default, virtual disks in Fusion consist of several .vmdk files. A descriptor/header .vmdk file (a small text file), and the data files "...-s00x.vmdk").

From what you write, I assume that one, or more of the required "...-s00x.vmdk" files are missing. The files which make up a virtual disk (the same applies to the snapshot) can be found in its header/descriptor file.

André

0 Kudos
santiandres33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats the thing, all files appear to be there.

Attached two screenshots

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thats the thing, all files appear to be there.

Not really. "Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-s014.vmdk" and "Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-s017.vmdk" are missing.

Unless you have a backup, post the output (as text please) for ls -l, which not only shows the file names, but also their sizes, ...

André

0 Kudos
santiandres33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here it is

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your filelist confirms what Andre already said.

If you dont have copies of

Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-s014.vmdk

Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-s017.vmdk

here is a ugly workaround.

Make sure the VM is powered off and not opened in any window first.

Then we pick one of the other slices which looks like it is unsed (but not a last one ..)

and find a candidate in Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-000001-s019.vmdk

Then we do this

copy Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-000001-s019.vmdk to Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-s014.vmdk

copy Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-000001-s019.vmdk to Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64-s017.vmdk

Apparently you have a significant amount of data for the range of slice 14 and 17 inside your snapshots so I only expect a minor data-corruption because of the missing parts of the basedisk

Ulli

santiandres33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

continuum​ you brilliant, thanks a lot, problem solved. I really needed this machine working

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you notice any corruption at all ?

By the way - Andre would have told you the same - thats the standard approach that usually works best ...

0 Kudos