VMware Communities
wimdecorte
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to

VMware Fusion Pro 10, fully updated.  In fact just did a full uninstall and reinstall.

macOS 10.12.6, MacBook Pro 15-inch, 2017.

Getting this message on all the VMs that I try to open.  I've read many threads here that suggest going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General tab, and allowing VMware fusion there but nothing ever shows up there for me.  Not before the reinstall and not after.

Also tried the suggestion to move the application out of the application folder and then moving it back.

Also fully repaired the disk using Disk Utility.  Did it from Recover mode even.

My account has full admin rights.

What else can I try?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wimdecorte
Contributor
Contributor

After more googling and trying more things: turns out to be a problem with VirtualBox on the same machine.  When I uninstall VirtualBox I can get VMware Fusion to work.

I've had the two on the same machine for years since I don't always have control over what virtual machines I have to work with, is there a fix coming for this so that both can co-exist like in the past?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The troubleshooting you did was specifically for macOS High Sierra.

You're running Sierra...

Have a look at this thread and check if your download wasn't quarantined.

Upgraded to Fusion 10.0.1-Pro and now getting "Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to" error

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
wimdecorte
Contributor
Contributor

The download was fine, the only thing that worked to make VMware run was remove VirtualBox.  Not ideal because I do need VirtualBox. Or lug around a second laptop with VirtualBox on it.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Good find and thanks for letting us know.

This was another thing I wondered about, although it triggered a different error in the past.

Tried to find a post last night about it, but could not, so didn't mention it.

Managed to locate it now:

Fusion 5 - Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.

In short, you're running out of character device major numbers and it is not just virtualbox or VMware Fusion consuming those.

You might be able to get VB back to work if you manage to locate the other software causing you to run out of free character devices.

Personally I wished that apple would resolve this, but I guess that's not very likely to happen.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos