danteafk
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot extend disk space

Hey folks,

so I have a VM with Windows 10 setup at 40Gb, over time this got full and I extended it to 60GB, however within windows disk management it just shows as additional partition of 20gb, I cannot merge it with the current windows partition.

What can be done?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please show a screenshot of diskmanagement inside the guest.

0 Kudos

Most likely that's because it's not contiguous with the C: drive.  You can use a partition manager, like Free partition manager software to resize partitions - EaseUS® Partition Master Free to reearrange and resize the partitions.

0 Kudos
danteafk
Contributor
Contributor

Sehe here, the tool does not work:

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 10.17.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 10.17.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 10.18.06 AM.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

That is because you have a recovery partition which prevents the expand.

Use a second disk instead.

0 Kudos

Use the tool to move the recovery partition to the end of the disk (click advanced settings on that partition, then change the free space after the partition to 0 - it'll move it all to before the partition.  Hit apply, then you can use the tool to extend the main partition to include the empty space.

One add: Copy the VM first!  Not time machine, but make a full copy when it's shut down.  Just in case.

0 Kudos
ygalbrami
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much, Work for me.

0 Kudos