VMware Communities
danteafk
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot extend disk space

Hey folks,

so I have a VM with Windows 10 setup at 40Gb, over time this got full and I extended it to 60GB, however within windows disk management it just shows as additional partition of 20gb, I cannot merge it with the current windows partition.

What can be done?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please show a screenshot of diskmanagement inside the guest.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Most likely that's because it's not contiguous with the C: drive.  You can use a partition manager, like Free partition manager software to resize partitions - EaseUS® Partition Master Free to reearrange and resize the partitions.

0 Kudos
danteafk
Contributor
Contributor

Sehe here, the tool does not work:

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 10.17.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 10.17.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 10.18.06 AM.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

That is because you have a recovery partition which prevents the expand.

Use a second disk instead.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Use the tool to move the recovery partition to the end of the disk (click advanced settings on that partition, then change the free space after the partition to 0 - it'll move it all to before the partition.  Hit apply, then you can use the tool to extend the main partition to include the empty space.

One add: Copy the VM first!  Not time machine, but make a full copy when it's shut down.  Just in case.

0 Kudos
ygalbrami
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much, Work for me.

0 Kudos