VMware Communities
dpace
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot connect to Exchange Server or Remote Desktop to server from Fusion VM

Have Fusion 1.1 installed on iMac on OS x 10.4 with Windows XP Pro w/sp2 VM. Outlook 2003 cannot connect to the Exchange Server nor can I Remote Desktop to the same server. Have other Windows PCs that connect fine with exact settings. I can connect with OWA. Help?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have Fusion 1.1 installed on iMac on OS x 10.4 with Windows XP Pro w/sp2 VM. Outlook 2003 cannot connect to the Exchange Server nor can I Remote Desktop to the same server. Have other Windows PCs that connect fine with exact settings. I can connect with OWA. Help?

Try changing your VM's Network from NAT to Bridged if there is a Router/DHCP Server available on your LAN

VMware Fusion menu bar > Virtual Machines > Network > Bridged

If VM is running and its Network is set to NAT...

1. In a Command Prompt type ipconfig /release then press Enter.

2. Switch from NAT to Bridged on the VM Network.

3. In a Command Prompt type ipconfig /renew then press Enter.

Command Prompt is at Start > All Programs (or Programs) > Accessories > Command Prompt

Or

Click Start > Run > type CMD and click OK or press Enter.

Or make the change and reboot the VM.

Note: If the Host connects directly to a Cable Modem you may not be able to switch as the VM will not be served an IP Address. If you have an AirPort in place then you should be okay to make the switch.

dpace
Contributor
Contributor

Have tried both NAT and Bridged. I have Internet connectivity, can browse, download, use OWA etc. with no problem, only the authentication issue with Outlook/Exchange and RDP is the problem.

0 Kudos
dpace
Contributor
Contributor

Still haven't resolved this, does anyone have any more ideas to solve this issue?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I have a couple of questions that might help to pinpoint where the problem is. What we want to do is to check to see if you're dealing with a networking issue (which might involve Fusion) or Windows authentication issues (which do not involve Fusion).

Is the problem that it will not establish a network connection (Exchange/RDC can't contact server) or that you can't be authenticated (username/password check fails)? That would tell us if we might have a blocked network port.

Is your Mac connected to the same network as the other Windows PCs that work? Just making sure we're comparing apples to apples (or Apples to PC's).

Is the Mac resident in a corporate office (corporate LAN segments with no VPN) or are you trying to use a VPN to remotely connect to a corporate network. If so, is the VPN being started from the Mac or from within the VM? If the trouble occurs with the VPN running within the VM, it's probably more of a Windows problem than a Fusion problem.

Is the VM a member of the same Windows domain that the PCs are. OWA doesn't care (as it's web based) but Exchange and RDC might.

If you are in a corporate LAN setting (no VPN) or have VPN software that's running on the Mac, have you tried to install the Mac version of RDC?

Is the firewall turned on on your Mac? If so, try turning it off to see if that helps. If it does, you may need to allow additional network ports in the firewall for RDC and Exchange.

Check with your Exchange admin. I would suspect that they might be able to give you additional information if you tried to connect to Exchange and the connection failed due to authorization issues.

Message was edited by: Technogeezer - Added clarification on checking for WIndows authentication issues and blocked ports.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
BP9906
Expert
Expert

Not sure why you're having the problem. I can use Outlook 2007 on my XP SP2 VM and connect to my company's exchange server. Due to my lack of knowledge of exchange communication, I'm not sure how its communicating, but I simply type in my credentials and I authenticate. Might be some sort of reverse HTTPS connection? I'm not VPN'd when doing this. I'm simply at home with my VM in bridged mode.

Also, once I VPN in, I can RDP to any of my work machines.

Just thought I'd share my experiences to see if its configuration or a specific set of conditions that you have.

0 Kudos