VMware Communities
GrottyBananas
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot connect Apple Internal Card Reader

Just upgraded to El Capitan (10.11.2), from Yosemite, running Fusion 7.1.3.

My usual routine is to mount a SDXC on the Mac go to Windows 7 (32 bit) VM, then go to the Virtual Machine menu, run down to USB & Bluetooth then Connect Apple Internal Memory Card Reader. I get a bong and I can use the files on the card.

However, after the El Capitan upgrade I get to Connect Apple Internal Memory Card Reader and get the following message from Windows 7 (32-bit) “The connection for the USB device ‘Apple Internal Memory Card Reader‘ was unsuccessful. Driver error.”

So I disconnect using the USB & Bluetooth menu, then try again and the option “Connect Apple Internal Memory Card Reader” disappears ??!!

I go to Settings on the VM window and look in USB & Bluetooth and it has indeed gone.

Shutting it all down and restarting the iMac (27 inch Mid 2010), does bring back the Apple Internal Card Reader in the USB and Bluetooth Settings, but the same thing happens again when I try an connect it in the Windows 7 (32-bit) VM.

Please advise.

Please note: I have no clue how to use Windows other than superficially.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tliugogo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi GrottyBananas,

El Capitan made some changes in USB. So you got this compatible issue.

For the workaround in 7.1.3, USB device connection might work at second plugin.

Thanks,

- Tim

0 Kudos
bernuli
Contributor
Contributor

On VMware Fusion 8.1.0, I have a similar problem.  Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 plugins to get the internal card reader to hook up to the USB bus and connect to VMware sometims more.  I am noticing the following in the Console log, at the same time there is a successful connection to the internal card reader:

3/19/16 12:10:41.000 AM kernel[0]: 001891.758595 Card Reader@14700000: AppleUSBDevice::ResetDevice: <software attempt to RESET>

Is there any way to invoke this reset manually?  Then perhaps VMware would have immediate access to the internal card reader on my MacBook?

0 Kudos