VMware Communities
Stringray
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot cleanup VM. Says: an operation is already in progress...

When I try to cleanup one of my virtual machines a message box appears saying: "An operation is already in progress". It doesn't seem to do anything, so I cannot clean my VM up. Anybody know what might be the problem?

Fusion 5 on Mac OSX Lion. VM came initially from VMWare Desktop 8 on Windows.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
IdahoJTD
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure the machine window for the machine that you are trying to clean up is closed;  with that window open a lock is placed on the VM and certain changes can not be made including the machine clean up.  After closing the window from the VM Library you can choose the settings for the VM in question and you should be able to sucessfully clean up the VM and reclaiming the disk space.

0 Kudos
televisi
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to open an old thread.

I have VMWare fusion 5.0.2, and this error re-appears.

I have closed the VM window and only open the VM Library, once I right click on the VM and select settings, I can see the .lck file is generated within the folder.

Is there a way to selec the setting without generating that .lck (lock) file? I think this is what causing the error

Thanks

PS: I just noticed that my VM is listed under "Shared Virtual Machines" section, instead of the normal "Virtual Machines", could that this because I put the VM under my External HDD instead of internal HDD?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

televisi wrote:

Sorry to open an old thread.

I have VMWare fusion 5.0.2, and this error re-appears.

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

0 Kudos
televisi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi WoodyZ,

Please find attached the file.

Please note that I removed extra information for other VMs to 'protect the innocent' Smiley Happy

Thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Well the primary issue I'm seeing in the support bundle is you do not has adequate free disk space to perform disk level actions of this type on the virtual hard disk due in part to the fact that you're using monolithicSparse type virtual hard disk.

-rwxrwxrwx   1 _unknown  _unknown  - 333118439424 Nov 14 05:08 POSServer VM_1-000001.vmdk
-rwxrwxrwx   1 _unknown  _unknown  - 255579652096 Nov 14 05:08 POSServer VM_1.vmdk

And on the FreeAgent GoFlex Drive you only have 71.27 GB (71,272,636,416 bytes) available! Smiley Wink  Also you appear not to have enough free space available on any volume attach when the support bundle was collected.  So unless you can free up space you're stuck! Smiley Sad

Also I'd opt to use vmware-vdiskmanager to manually create a new .vmdk while pointing to POSServer VM_1-000001.vmdk to consolidate the two into a new merged disk and then swap them out.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

BTW I just noticed the FreeAgent GoFlex Drive is using UFSD_NTFS_COMPR for the File System and while I occassionaly allow OS X to write directly to NTFS Volumes nonethe less it's the exception not the rule and I wouldn't do it with a running Virtual Machine and would instead use HFS+ as it is native, faster and more robust. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
televisi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi WoodyZ,

Really appreciate your response; yes I'm currently running out of space because the VM itself consumed quite large amount of data (548GB) and according to "general setting page" I can 'reclaim' 64 GB of it

In relation to HFS, as I'm using this drive between MAC and PC, unfortunately, I need to use NTFS format; unless you can let me know a way to read HFS format in PC?

I guess, I need to move the VM into bigger free space HDD and do "vm cleanup" and put back in again?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

televisi wrote:

In relation to HFS, as I'm using this drive between MAC and PC, unfortunately, I need to use NTFS format; unless you can let me know a way to read HFS format in PC?

Do you need Read & Write HFS+ support or just Read Only?  The reason I ask it there are some HFS+ Read Only drivers included in the Boot Camp Drivers.  If you need Read & Write HFS+ support then MacDrive comes to mind and I believe Paragon has something for this as well.

FWIW I believe it's always best to eliminate extra layers of software when ever possible and especially when running Virtual Machines.  I guest one way to choose which to use is on which Host do you use it the most or what more convenient with your work paradigm.  In either case it's imperative one maintain proper on going backups especially when using VM's cross platform on different filesystems especially. Smiley Wink

I guess, I need to move the VM into bigger free space HDD and do "vm cleanup" and put back in again?

As I said, "Also I'd opt to use vmware-vdiskmanager to manually create a new .vmdk while pointing to POSServer VM_1-000001.vmdk to consolidate the two into a new merged disk and then swap them out." this will be faster then having to move twice.  Let me know if you need more help with using vmware-vdiskmanger to resolve this issue.  BTW if you want to maintain the snapshot then this is not an option and you'll just need to copy it to where you'll have adequate free space and use the VMware Fusion GUI.

0 Kudos
televisi
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ wrote:

FWIW I believe it's always best to eliminate extra layers of software when ever possible and especially when running Virtual Machines.

Hi WoodyZ,

Thanks for the software suggestion, but I guess I'll stick with NTFS for now, furthermore, as I use PC in work place, introducing additional software just to access my external HDD will be inconvenience for me, especially getting access from the sys admin; in this case, I'll stick with NTFS for now...

WoodyZ wrote:

As I said, "Also I'd opt to use vmware-vdiskmanager to manually create a new .vmdk while pointing to POSServer VM_1-000001.vmdk to consolidate the two into a new merged disk and then swap them out." this will be faster then having to move twice.  Let me know if you need more help with using vmware-vdiskmanger to resolve this issue. 

Ah... new stuff for me, can you please suggest the solution using vmware-vdiskmanager? as I normally manage the VM through GUI and not this command line

Thanks!

0 Kudos
televisi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi WoodyZ,

I've moved the VM to larger free space drive (this time I have free space of 710GB) and delete the snapshot, the problem persist?

Please find attached the support info file

Thanks!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Try the following... Delete the "POSServer VM.vmsd" file and then take a snapshot and then delete it.  This should force consolidation.

0 Kudos
glutenenvy
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem.

What worked for me was to downgrade the virtual machine to 4. Run the disk cleanup. Upgrade the virtual machine back to 5.

0 Kudos
fhmartinez
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem, so I deleted the .vmsd found inside the VM files (actually moved it to my desktop), started up and shut down the VM, and then it worked: I was able to reclaim my HDD (45GB in an SSD!).

I hope this works for all of you!

0 Kudos
mandasoft
Contributor
Contributor

This is some seriously bad advice. The vmsd file contains the information about snapshots. If you remove it, you lose your snapshots.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> If you remove it, you lose your snapshots.

thats not correct - the vmsd is only used to populate the snapshotmanager display.
The snapshots are still usable without a vmsd-file

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

mandasoft wrote: This is some seriously bad advice. The vmsd file contains the information about snapshots. If you remove it, you lose your snapshots.

In the proper context it is not bad advice!  It is actually quite necessary when applicable, obviously as in the case of a corrupted/truncated .vmsd file or a .vmsd file that does not contain all relevant information to the actual state of all Snapshots.  This unfortunately occurs for a number of reasons and has to be dealt with when necessary and when applicable the most expeditious method is to delete the .vmsd file, take a Cold Snapshot and immediately delete it to consolidate the orphaned snapshot(s).  If consolidation is not acceptable at that time then if necessary the .vmsd file can be manually edited/repaired/recreated to a functional degree from information in the vmware.log files although it may not be identical to the original before the issue occurred.  The bottom line is, there is never any good excuse not to have and maintain proper regular and ongoing backups of at the very least User Data, of which I consider a Virtual Machine to be, as well as the Host system itself! Smiley Wink

Additionally deleting the .vmsd file does not delete the Snapshots, the Snapshots are still there, they just don't show in the Snapshot Manager! Smiley Wink

If the future don't make statements when you really don't know what your talking about! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mandasoft
Contributor
Contributor

Additionally deleting the .vmsd file does not delete the Snapshots, the Snapshots are still there, they just don't show in the Snapshot Manager! Smiley Wink

Great. So how can we use the snapshots if you can't see them in the manager? To me it's the same as if they were gone.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

mandasoft wrote:

Great. So how can we use the snapshots if you can't see them in the manager? To me it's the same as if they were gone.

Well first of all if one is doing as one is supposed to, keeping proper backups, then it really wouldn't be an issue however if the .vmsd file becomes corrupted and there is no backup to replace it then one can either...  Remove the corrupted .vmsd file and then consolidate the existing snapshots by taking a snapshot and then immediately delete it, or manually create a generic working .vmsd file at which point one might be able to annotate it so it's not totally generic and continue to the the Virtual Machine with the snapshots intact.

The bottom line is removing the .vmsd file, if necessary, does not cause the loss of contents of the Virtual Machine itself however depending on how many snapshot are in play and whether or not the chain is lineal then having to manually recreate the .vmsd file could lessen the overall functionally when working with a large number of snapshots which include branching.

Keep one's system properly backed up! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos