VMware Communities
metdivo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot change partition size after upgrading

Upgraded from VMfusion 1.3 to 2.0. The original windows partition in 1.3 with bootcamp was FAT 17GB. When I tried to enlarge the partition after upgrading, all the controls in Hard Disk settings were grayed out. I imported the bootcamp virtual machine and went back to Hard Disk settings. This time

they were not grayed out, but the slider was all the way to the right (full disk--terabyte) and I could not move it or change the GB to anything smaller. When I opened windows and looked at the C drive, it still showed a FAT partition of 17GB with no room to increase the partition size in windows (using

EASEUS Partition Manager)--the rest of the disk was labeled 'other.' How do I increase the partition size? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jim_gill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When Fusion imported your Boot Camp partition, it made a virtual disk that appears just like your physical one (a terabyte, I guess) -- but populated it only with the partition table info and your Boot Camp data -- all the OS X stuff was left out. This is necessary to keep the volume start information correct, although I admit it looks a little weird.

That left-out OS X stuff is what appears in Partition Manager as "Other".

In your imported VM -- do not do this to Boot Camp itself, as this may destroy Mac data -- you may safely use Partition Manager to delete the "Other" partition and resize your Windows partition down into the newly-available space. I just did this by importing my own Boot Camp partition, installing Partition Manager, and fooling around -- and I had NTFS for my XP disks. I increased my XP disk size from 11 to 33 GB and it went fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sailesh_a
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hm.. I wonder if there's something wrong in your .vmx file. Could you post the file or send it to fusion-feedback@vmware.com ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When Fusion imported your Boot Camp partition, it made a virtual disk that appears just like your physical one (a terabyte, I guess) -- but populated it only with the partition table info and your Boot Camp data -- all the OS X stuff was left out. This is necessary to keep the volume start information correct, although I admit it looks a little weird.

That left-out OS X stuff is what appears in Partition Manager as "Other".

In your imported VM -- do not do this to Boot Camp itself, as this may destroy Mac data -- you may safely use Partition Manager to delete the "Other" partition and resize your Windows partition down into the newly-available space. I just did this by importing my own Boot Camp partition, installing Partition Manager, and fooling around -- and I had NTFS for my XP disks. I increased my XP disk size from 11 to 33 GB and it went fine.

0 Kudos
metdivo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Jim,

Thanks so much. Worked like a charm.

0 Kudos
astroflake
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where can I find Partition Manager. Is this a third party app, or something that comes with VMWare?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Where can I find Partition Manager. Is this a third party app, or something that comes with VMWare?

Third party app.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=EASEUSPartitionManager

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In addition to what Eric presented you may also find reading to be helpful.

0 Kudos
astroflake
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys!

0 Kudos