VMware Communities
Sean_Skelly
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot change Ethernet adapter type to vmxnet3 in VMware Fusion 11 when VM is encrypted

Context:  What I want to do is modify a virtual Ethernet Adapter for a Windows 10 guest away from Fusion's default Intel 1Gbps option (E1000E I believe), and use 'vmxnet3' instead, in an attempt to bridge a 10Gbps adapter on the host to a guest.

There is another question/answer where a user built their own Python script to decrypt the .vmx, allow for manual editing, then encrypt it again.  And other web searching points to the suggestion of decrypting the entire VM, modifying it, and re-encrypting.  Not only does this process take a long time for large virtual drives, but it is a non-starter if a TPM is being used, as the TPM must be deleted before you can decrypt.

Questions:

1. Does VMware Fusion Pro have a way to edit .vmx files for encrypted VMs?
    1. (Is this just a limitation of basic Fusion?)
  2. I am currently using version 11.  Does VMware Fusion 12 (or 12 Pro) have any features for editing the Ethernet adapter type through its GUI, rather than requiring manual .vmx editing? (Or setting the adapter type when adding a new virtual adapter, even if it can't be edited after it is created?)
  3. Any other options to try, besides the Python script from the link above?
0 Replies