VMware Communities
JBradford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot attach keyboard to VM

Hi everyone!

I've been having an odd problem both with the Friends & Family build from VMworld and now with the public beta where regardless of what VM I create/import I can't attach the keyboard. My iMac has an Apple Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. When I start a VM, and click inside it every key I press generates a beep and no input is passed to the VM. I've tried attaching a USB keyboard and have the same problem. It doesn't matter what guest OS I'm running as I have the same problem with trying to enter the VM's BIOS as well. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

That's good to know. I do run Quicken on my Mac and

I'll check on that process this evening. Thanks!

Excellent to hear. You can either disable the Quicken Scheduler in System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items, or log in with the Shift key held to temporarily disable all login items.

Please let us know if this resolves your issue. For what it's worth, I did a Google search for "Quicken Scheduler", and found all sorts of Mac applications whose keyboard support goes out the window when Quicken Scheduler is running:

http://www.quickenforums.com/thread.jspa?messageID=600031622&tstart=0

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9636 (look at the fixes in the most recent update)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
65 Replies
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi JBradford,

Do you see any errors in the log file in ~/vmware/your-vm-name/vmware.log ?

Try restarting the VM with the keyboard and mouse already plugged in. We've tested Bluetooth keyboards and mice, and not had any issues.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi JBradford

I am not sure what is causing this issue. Right now I am running a wired mouse with a bluetooth keyboard and I can't reproduce this issue. Could you please file an SR and upload your vmx file, ui log, and vmware log

the UI log is located here ~/Library/Logs/vmware-fusion.log

the vm log is in the folder of the running vm

please follow this link to file an SR

http://www.vmware.com/support/services/Beta.html

Thanks

0 Kudos
rrognlie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a similar problem. MacBook. built-in keyboard.

Any attempts to type in an XP VMware window.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi rrognlie,

Do you see any keyboard or mouse errors in ~/vmware/your-vm-name/vmware.log ?

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This might be the same issue reported here:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=66007&tstart=0

If you have a Wacom tablet attached to the host, can you try removing it, then suspending and resuming the affected VM?

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

JBradford and rrognlie: when you type and hear these "beeps", what is written in the status bar at the bottom of the VM window? And what is the shape of the mouse cursor?

bgertzfield: I believe the problem might not be keyboard-related, but grab-related.

0 Kudos
ebruchez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here. Brand new MBP, latest OS X updates. I created a VM, put my Windows XP CD, started the VM. Windows install starts ok, but the keyboard doesn't seem to send keys to the VM: it beeps everytime.

The status bar says: "To return to your computer, press control-CMD". There is no mouse cursor visible at that point. Same thing in full-screen mode.

-Erik

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi ebruchez,

Are there any error messages about the keyboard or mouse in ~/vmware/your-vm-dir/vmware.log ?

Do you have any external mice or tablets attached to the system? Could you run (from Terminal):

system_profiler > profile.txt

and send us the output?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
francojc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was having a similar issue. As soon as I unplugged my Wacom tablet, I was able to click on the VM and get mouse and keyboard control.

Franco

0 Kudos
JBradford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've submitted a SR. It's number is 346210 and it contains the two log files you wanted. I have this problem with both a current bluetooth Apple KB & mighty mouse as well as with an older USB Apple Pro keyboard and mouse.

0 Kudos
JBradford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The mouse disappears as I am in the text mode install portion of XP. The status bar says "To return control to your computer, press Control-CMD"

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I've submitted a SR. It's number is 346210 and it

contains the two log files you wanted. I have this

problem with both a current bluetooth Apple KB &

mighty mouse as well as with an older USB Apple Pro

keyboard and mouse.

Thanks, JBradford. Do you have any other hardware plugged into the system, like a Wacom tablet or other input or remote control devices?

0 Kudos
JBradford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't seem to find anything in the log files that mentions keyboard or mouse problems. As far as external input devices go, the only two devices are the bluetooth kb and mouse.

0 Kudos
JBradford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

bgertzfield,

There is no other input hardware or software (Apple Remote Desktop, VNC, etc.) active on the system. I have tried disabling the bluetooth hardware and using an older USB kb and mouse and have the same problem - even after rebooting my mac with the USB input devices already attached.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi JBradford,

This does sound different from the issue the others are reporting. If you'd like to run system_profiler > output.txt and send me the output.txt file as well as ~/vmware/your-vm-name/vmware.log, I'll take a look at your system.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JBradford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How should I send you the profiler output? I seem to be unable to access my existing SR. I keep getting a message about the VMware store being down when I try to login....

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

How should I send you the profiler output? I seem to

be unable to access my existing SR. I keep getting a

message about the VMware store being down when I try

to login....

You can send me a private message by clicking on my name on the left side of this message.

0 Kudos
JBradford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Should be in you inbox now. Thanks by the way for the help!

0 Kudos
armory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MacBook Pro - No external devices : WinXP

I seem to be having a similar problem... The mouse works but the keyboard input quits and won't return. I've had to restart the installation process (start a new VM to get the keyboard input to come back, but it eventially stops accepting input. I haven't bee able to complete a WinXP install yet. I get a system (OS X) beep similar to trying to enter text outside an active entry area.

0 Kudos