VMware Communities
garyloewenthal
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot activate Windows 8 on Fusion 5 - installed from scratch

I installed Windows 8 on Fusion 5, which I have on my fairly new Macbook Pro - clean install, from a disc, not an upgrade, no boot camp. I get a screen saying activate windows and a button saying go to PC Settings. On that screen I enter the key that came with the software, I checked it 10 times to make sure it was correct. It will not accept. If I restart Fusion I'm ok, but that's not a great solution. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Gary

0 Kudos
24 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

I dont think windows 8 full version is released.

If you have installed windows 8 using upgrade disc refer the following article

Windows 8 install

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
garyloewenthal
Contributor
Contributor

I'm pretty sure this is Windows 8 from scratch. I bought it at the store. It says Windows 8 Pro on the cover. Nothing about an upgrade, and I didn't have any copies of Windows previously.

0 Kudos
garyloewenthal
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW / FYI, 64-bit Windows.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Can you tell me how much did you pay for it? $63

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Using the steps provided in the article you can activate windows 8 even if it was installed from upgrade disc.

There are other methods to activate by altering the registry but i dont think it can be posted under public forum.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
garyloewenthal
Contributor
Contributor

Will the steps in the article work if this is NOT an upgrade disc? I'm willing to try another install, but I want to make sure we understand that this was not an upgrade. I forget what I paid for it. I bought it off the shelf at Office Depot. It works ok except every now an then it asks me to activate and does not accpet the product key.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Ok,

first.... That article is applicable only for windows 8 clean installation using upgrade discs.

Second... I still dont think that microsoft has released full version of windows 8.

When you type in the license, whats the error message you are getting?

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
garyloewenthal
Contributor
Contributor

Are you sure about Windows 8? I see it advertised for sale everywhere, no mention of beta or pre-release. I'll have to wait until it asks me to activate again, but basically the message is "key not accepted, try a different key." Very annoying, since it's the right key, the one I used to install.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

I guess you may be right. full versions of windows 8 is not available for purchase in microsoft store. But in local stores they are available i belive.

In any case the error which you received definitely points towards incorrect licesne key.

This does not seem to be an issue with fusion.

Best contact microsoft support and get it activated or contact the store.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
garyloewenthal
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, the key worked fine for installation, but not for activation. I was hoping to avoid trying to get help from Micrososft, but that may be unavoidable. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Unlike windows xp,      windows 7 and windows 8 installation can be done without the key. Fusion does not verify the key entered during easy install.

Its unfortunate that the key is not working.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
garyloewenthal
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it asked me for the key during installation.

0 Kudos
Sumit_singh564
Contributor
Contributor

Before you activate your Windows 8 pls check that you are able to access internet from your Virtual Machine.

If the Product Key is not of Upgrade Version you can try the bellow steps.

Open the CMD with Admin previledges
Type the commands:
slmgr.vbs /ipk {YOUR PRODUCT KEY HERE}
slmgr.vbs /ato
0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Yes, Windows 8 indeed requires the key to be entered during installation (which isn't necessary in Windows 7).

0 Kudos
garyloewenthal
Contributor
Contributor

I can access the internet fine. But...

- When I tried those commands in the window after running CMD, it said it required higher privileges even though my account is an admin account. Maybe there's something else I have to do to tell the CMD window that I'm an admin?

- I also tried activating from the Control Panel. When I typed in the key that came with the software, the message I got was that the key could only be used on an upgrade install, not a clean install. But I did a completely clean, from scratch install, and nothing in the box or during installation gave any indication that this was an upgrade.

Very frustrating...

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

The error clearly indicates that its a upgrade disk and the license which you have is a upgrade license.

My advise, refer following article

Cheers! Avanish
garyloewenthal
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently, Windows 8 Pro, which I bought, is an upgrade, even though there is no indication on the package or in the instal process that is an upgrade, and I had no previous version of Windows that I was upgrading. I found this out from tech support, which provided me with a back door way to activate. So I'm good now. Poor labeling IMHO. In the past I could swear that "Pro" just meant more features.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

garyloewenthal wrote: which provided me with a back door way to activate.

It the back door is other then the "Activate Windows 8 Pro Upgrade" section in Windows 8 Upgrade: clean install possible? it would be nice of you to share this back door so others having this issue can more easily resolve it too.

0 Kudos
garyloewenthal
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I wish I could remember what I did; I just followed directions. I do know that I had to get a temporary key from the tech support guy, so it wasn't anything you could do on your own.

0 Kudos