VMware Communities
jshrek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot access internet after Win XP suspend in Fusion v4

Using Fusion v4.1.1 on OS X v10.7.2 with guest Win Xp Pro SP3.

When the guest is suspended and then re-activated, the internet connection still shows as connected, but can no longer access the internet. I have to restart Win XP and then it can access the internet again fine.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are several command line utilities, VB Script methods, PowerShell etc. This is more of a general Windows scenario and you should be able to Google it and find enough information to build your own script.  If I had some time at the moment I'd throw something together however I have last minute holiday shopping to do and only have bits of free time until after the Jan 1.

I've used DevCon in the past to create a simple .CMD Script to do this.

Have a look at: The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can try uninstalling/reinstalling (not a repair install) VMware Tools to see if that will clear things up otherwise a better workaround to try other then rebooting the Virtual Machine is to just toggle the state of the Network Adapter from connected to disconnected and back.

jshrek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I will give those a try.

Thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

BTW You can toggle the state of the Network Adapter either from the VMware Fusion side or from the Windows side although  if VMware Tools are not working properly then toggling it from the Windows side is what you'll probably need to do and it is scriptable to make it easier too.

jshrek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you make it scriptable?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are several command line utilities, VB Script methods, PowerShell etc. This is more of a general Windows scenario and you should be able to Google it and find enough information to build your own script.  If I had some time at the moment I'd throw something together however I have last minute holiday shopping to do and only have bits of free time until after the Jan 1.

I've used DevCon in the past to create a simple .CMD Script to do this.

Have a look at: The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager

0 Kudos