VMware Communities
ajberlier
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot Ping VM from Mac using VMware Fusion 12, Networking Issue

Versions: VMware Fusion Pro 12.2.4 on MacOS Monterey 12.2.1 with a RHEL 7.9 VM

My VM is serving a web UI, but I am having trouble with the network bridging to access it from my host mac. I am unable to ping the VM from the Mac. I think that once I can ping the VM from my Mac, I should be good to go.

The VM Network Adapter setting is set to Bridged Networking (AutoDetect): ''' In the Bridged Networking list, you see various choices for bridging to one of the network interfaces on your Mac, including wireless and Ethernet. Using one of these options is often the easiest way to give your virtual machine access to a network. With one of these bridged networking options, the virtual machine appears as an additional computer on the same physical Ethernet network as your Mac. The virtual machine can use any of the services available on the network to which it is bridged, including file servers, printers, gateways, and so on. Likewise, any physical host or other virtual machine configured with bridged networking can use resources of that virtual machine. '''

Thank you for any help!

I have tried adding a new Thunderbolt Bridge on the Mac with the Router option using the same domain as the VM. I am not sure that I am fulling understanding how this works or what the proper settings would be. I would not consider this attempt fully investigated since I likely muffed it up.

Link to stackoverflow post: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/74378055/cannot-ping-vm-from-mac-using-vmware-fusion-12-networki...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What is the operating system in the VM?

A quick thought, Does the VM have a firewall enabled?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Does the VM have access to the network/internet?  If so, then networking is working and likely there is a firewall issue blocking the ping.  If not, then there may be an issue with the router you connect to allowing multiple MAC addressed traffic on one port.

0 Kudos
ajberlier
Contributor
Contributor

RHEL 7.9

0 Kudos
ajberlier
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot ping my mac or the outside internet from the VM. I set the VM IP address to connect to another VM domain controller. I have been thing that I need to add a second IP to my mac NIC so that I can pass through that domain controller. Is this true? How do I do that properly on a Mac? I have been playing with adding a Thunderbolt Bridge, but could not get it to work.

0 Kudos
ajberlier
Contributor
Contributor

SOLVED:
This was solved by following the following Youtube video for adding a new IP to the mac that is on the same domain as the VM and switching to a local router rather than using the xfinity shared wifi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIOrGQ-kzbU

0 Kudos