VMware Communities
CanuckinNYC
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot Import Parallels VM into Fusion 5.0.2

Have tried using the import option on two different Macs.  One is an I7 iMac running OSX 10.8.2 and the other is an I7 Macbook Pro Retina running OSX 10.8.2.  Both machines have enough disk space.  Both have 16Gb RAM.  I have Fusion Professional 5.0.2 and both machines are licensed.

In both cases I am trying to import a Parallels 8 Build 8.0.18101 Windows 7 Ultimate vm.

On the iMac it just hangs with maybe 10% of the bar filled.  On the Macbook Pro Retina it gts further through the process then tells me that it is unable to import the vm.

What is going on?  One of the claims of VMWare is that Fusion would import painlessly Parallels vm's.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Changed to Fusion because I am using VMSphere and thought that I would standardize.  Now thinking that I just wasted my money that I spent on the multiple licenses.  Still haven't installed Fusion on one other Macbook Pro yet and debating not doing so.

The fact that I can't get support above and beyond the complimentary crap that doesn't even have phone support for a time period after purchase is disappointing since I didn't need to buy 10 licenses.  I would also say that the documentation...or more accurately the lack of documentation beyond a Getting Started manual is very disappointing.  They should have a User Manual in PDF form that more thoroughly details the software.  Parallels has a good manual...to bad VMWare couldn't be bothered.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

They should have a User Manual in PDF form that more thoroughly details the software.  Parallels has a good manual...to bad VMWare couldn't be bothered.

Have a look at: VMware Fusion Documentation

Also instead of using the Import command there is always the free VMware vCenter Converter Standalone and don't forget the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 5.0 User's Guide PDF.  See Also: VMware vCenter Converter Documentation

Note:  Be sure to select the appropriate Mass Storage Controller as you walk through the Wizard as it may default improperly.  For Windows 7 IIRC select LSI SAS.

CanuckinNYC
Contributor
Contributor

I have already been to that link.  I looked at the pissant Getting Started Guide and then the help file that was listed under documentation, then I compare it to the much more detailed 224 page user manual that Parallels has on their web site.  It kind of pales in comparison and this from the supposed leader in virtualization.

VMWare says that the import process will bring in a Parallels vm...but it does not seem to.  I should not have to download a separate piece of software to do the job that VMWare says Fusion will do.  This is nuts.  All I want is for Fusion to do what it claims it can do.

How would I use vCenter Converter Standalone 5.0 on my Mac to convert a Parallels Windows vm?  I t appears to run on Windows and does not have a Mac version.

BTW...I decided that I would clone my Windows 7 machine on the Macbook Pro and see if I could import it.  I tested the clone vm and it works percectly.  However, when I try to import it as Fusion says to do it...I get the following error.

"VMWare importer is unable to prepare your virtual machine to run under VMWare Fusion.  The virtual machine cannot be imported."

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

VMWare says that the import process will bring in a Parallels vm...but it does not seem to.  I should not have to download a separate piece of software to do the job that VMWare says Fusion will do.  This is nuts.  All I want is for Fusion to do what it claims it can do.

I don't disagree with you and my originally reply was just an effort to help with a workaround! Smiley Wink

How would I use vCenter Converter Standalone 5.0 on my Mac to convert a Parallels Windows vm?  I t appears to run on Windows and does not have a Mac version.

Well I guess I could just say RT*M! I gave you the link to, however aside from that it gets installed in Windows and used from there, doesn't matter whether is a physical or virtual machine although if you had RT*M you'd already know that. Smiley Happy

BTW...I decided that I would clone my Windows 7 machine on the Macbook Pro and see if I could import it.  I tested the clone vm and it works percectly.  However, when I try to import it as Fusion says to do it...I get the following error.

"VMWare importer is unable to prepare your virtual machine to run under VMWare Fusion.  The virtual machine cannot be imported."

Since there are lots of ways to "clone" a Virtual Machine I can't fully comment since you didn't state explicitly and specifically how you cloned the VM and whether or not it was a Parallels VM or VMware Fusion VM to begin with.  However it was the latter all that one need to do is simply copy the Virtual Machine Package to the other system (assuming it was a normal file based Virtual Machine and not the Boot Cam partition running as a Virtual Machine) and then open it in VMware Fusion.  Simple and straight forward and no importing necessary.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Try this first.

Log into the guest OS using parallels and uninstall the parallels tools within the guest.

Once thats done, try to convert it into fusion using the fusion itself.

IF you get errors, send us the diagnostic information

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos