VMware Communities
resucami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot Import Existing Virtual Machine

When trying to import an existing virtual machine I get the error message that there would not be enough space. However, there is enough space.See attached screen shot.

Fusion needs 62 GB and there are 159 GB available - with Fusion claiming there would be only 55 GB available.

Fusion claimed already before that only 55 GB would be available when there were actually 120 GB available (I then deleted another 39 GB; just to be even more on the safe side).

Several restarts after emptying the trash did not help.

All that on a Mac with macOS 10.15.7.

Not a good start with Fusion.

Is this a known problem and are there ways to fix this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
resucami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies. DaisyDisk did the trick.

I find it quite idiotic that macOS' Finder first tells me that there is 150 GB available free space and then tells an application (like Fusion) that there is only 55 GB available free space. And all that because Apple cares so much for me!

Importing a Parallels Desktop hard disk file with Windows 10 on it to Fusion worked fine, and Windows seems to be working fine. Windows is now maybe a little bit slower than before with Parallels - but I can live with that and hopefully let Parallels behind me for good.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Is this a VM from another hypervisor such as a Parallels VM?
Asking as if it is an existing VMware VM then you don't need to use "import", in that case a "File" -> "Open" is the method to use.

re. the free space discrepancy.
VMware Fusion might be correct. Nowadays macOS is not always displaying completely logical free space due to how APFS snapshots work.

It is possible that Time Machine has snapshots open and causes you to not being able to use all the space you want.

You can check by running:

tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How I resolved this for a Steam game that could not see enough space was: DaisyDisk Scan as Administrator then click 'Hidden Space', then drag 'purgeable space' to the circles in the lower left corner of the DaisyDisk window then click delete.  

resucami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies. DaisyDisk did the trick.

I find it quite idiotic that macOS' Finder first tells me that there is 150 GB available free space and then tells an application (like Fusion) that there is only 55 GB available free space. And all that because Apple cares so much for me!

Importing a Parallels Desktop hard disk file with Windows 10 on it to Fusion worked fine, and Windows seems to be working fine. Windows is now maybe a little bit slower than before with Parallels - but I can live with that and hopefully let Parallels behind me for good.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

APFS broke the free space in finder (I raised a Radar on it).  Disk Utility will show the true free space (mostly).

0 Kudos