VMware Communities
mbarnett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you create an Alias on the Mac OS X desktop to Windows XP applications?

I am running Windows XP in Fusion. Can I create an alias (or shortcut) to a Windows application in my WinXP virtual machine?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes you can, but only for apps in the Applications menu from Unity mode. These shortcuts will power on the Virtual Machine when they are clicked and then start the app itself.

The easiest way to create the shortcut is the have the Virtual Machine running, start the app so its icon shows in the Dock. Once its there you can right click on that icon and select "keep in dock". Now the icon will remain when you close the app or the Virtual Machine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes you can, but only for apps in the Applications menu from Unity mode. These shortcuts will power on the Virtual Machine when they are clicked and then start the app itself.

The easiest way to create the shortcut is the have the Virtual Machine running, start the app so its icon shows in the Dock. Once its there you can right click on that icon and select "keep in dock". Now the icon will remain when you close the app or the Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
mbarnett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. That creates a shortcut in the dock, but not on the desktop. I can't figure out how to do the same thing but have the shortcut on the desktop instead of the dock. Is that possible?

0 Kudos
mbarnett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

See comment about wanting shortcut on desktop and not dock.

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can copy the icon/link from the Virtual Machine directory in the Applications folder.

You can find the VM directory in ~/Documents/Virtual machines/

You will need to right click on the VM and select "Show Package Contents".

mbarnett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, that worked. The application in question was Windows Explorer. So now I have a shortcut/alias on my OS X desktop for Windows Explorer.

However, I have a problem. When I double click the icon, it does launch Windows Explorer correctly. When I'm done with it I click the red X to close the program. Now if I want to launch it again, and I double click the icon on my desktop, nothing happens. I've noticed that in the Dock it says Windows Explorer is open. But I cannot find a window anywhere.

The only way I can launch it again is to right click on the Windows Explorer icon in the dock, click quit, then double click again on the icon on my desktop. Is there a way around this problem?

0 Kudos