VMware Communities
ptmkenny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't write to a shared folder in Ubuntu 7.10

Greetings. I've set up an Ubuntu 7.10 virtual machine with VMWare Tools installed and shared folders enabled and I can see my shared folders in Linux, but I'm not able to write to them.

What am I doing wrong? My XP and Vista machines work with the same directories (located in my Mac's home folder).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you unmount/remount as I posted? (I added the unmount/remout as an edit after initial posting, so you might have missed it if you are replying by mail).

If still no luck, please post output of:

"whoami"

"ls -ld /mnt/hgfs"

"ls -l /mnt/hgfs"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Perhaps the same issue as in ? Don't forget to remount the shared folders for the changes to make effect - "sudo umount /mnt/hgfs; sudo mount /mnt/hgfs"

ptmkenny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I took a look at that thread and added the user/groups to /etc/fstab as described, but still no luck.

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you unmount/remount as I posted? (I added the unmount/remout as an edit after initial posting, so you might have missed it if you are replying by mail).

If still no luck, please post output of:

"whoami"

"ls -ld /mnt/hgfs"

"ls -l /mnt/hgfs"

0 Kudos
ptmkenny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I just realized that rebooting is not the same as unmounting/mounting. It appears to work now. Thanks!

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well, I still think rebooting should have worked (it's stronger then unmount/remount) unless you had "noauto" specified in /etc/fstab, but it's great that it works for you now.

0 Kudos