VMware Communities
jyavenard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't upgrade disk size

Hi there.

I just upgraded to VMWare 4 Fusion, and at the same time I found myself with a full disk in my Windows XP VM.

The VM disk is 25GB in size, when I try to increase the size of the disk in the preferences, it only let me increase the size to a minimum of 232GB (and a maximum of 2TB)

Not sure if this is relevant, booking within the VM image (Show package content) there are 118 .vmdk files, most of them are 32kB in size, with s104 to s117 that are 2GB.

This is an old VM that I've had with me forever... I'm just wondering how I could increase the size to say 30GB, without having to waste 232GB !

Thanks

JY

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This looks like an imported Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and if it is have a look at my reply Re: Counterintuitive Instructions from VMWare on Resizing Virtual Disk.

Anyway, you can use a third party utility to enlarge the C: Drive into the unpartitioned space.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jyavenard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very weird.

Looking in the guest OS, and the disk property. I have a 207GB unallocated space on the disk (the VM is definitely only 25GB in size as shown in the Finder

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This looks like an imported Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and if it is have a look at my reply Re: Counterintuitive Instructions from VMWare on Resizing Virtual Disk.

Anyway, you can use a third party utility to enlarge the C: Drive into the unpartitioned space.

0 Kudos
jyavenard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I believe it was (such a long time ago)...

I was just in the process of creating a 2nd disk of a bigger size, then booting a linux live CD run a copy of the C partition to the new disk...

I believe this is going to be faster than repartitioning the disk, and moving all the data from the bottom of the disk to the top

Jean-Yves

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You do not need to shift the partition, I just prefer it that way and you can simply grow the C: drive the amount you want, it doesn't have to be the entire unpartitioned space.

jyavenard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see..

I was in the impression that my VM was going to be increased to that size which isn't something I wanted to do....

Thanks for the reply and hint on how to solve it

0 Kudos