VMware Communities
hardhitter
Contributor
Contributor

Can't turn on 3D acceleration

I've been trying to get Netflix's on-demand service working, but I'm having some issues with the video and was wondering whether enabling 3D acceleration would help. So I shut down my XP SP2 guest, turned on the appropriate setting, and started back up - to be greeted with this error:

Now, this doesn't make any sense to me at all, for two reasons:

- It's been made pretty clear here that VMware doesn't support multiple monitors.

- The setting the error refers to does not exist, so I could not have turned it on, nor can I now disable it.

Maybe there's a check from in-development multi-monitor support (woo-hoo!) that is in some way being errantly tripped, or perhaps the flag was set on the machine on another platform (a coworker created it), but no matter why, I'm sure I'm not supposed to be seeing it, and with it, I can't get 3D acceleration, which means I can't try to get better quality from Netflix.

Any suggestions out there?

I'm running Fusion 1.1 in full-screen mode on a Mac Pro with XP SP2 as the guest. And yes, the host has multiple monitors.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

perhaps the flag was set on the machine on another platform (a coworker created it)

That's probably true. Post the .vmx config file (see for where to find it). I think having svga.numDisplays set might cause this message to appear.

0 Kudos
hardhitter
Contributor
Contributor

After I posted my original message, I did think to take a look at the .vmx file (copied below) and didn't see anything that looked to be the culprit. I also checked the referenced .vmxf file, and saw nothing of note there, either.

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "6"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

memsize = "512"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "Windows XP Professional-cl1-000001.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "E:"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

svga.autodetect = "TRUE"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

mks.keyboardFilter = "allow"

displayName = "XP"

guestOS = "winxppro"

nvram = "XP.nvram"

deploymentPlatform = "windows"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"

floppy0.fileName = "A:"

isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "FALSE"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

numvcpus = "2"

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

0 Kudos
hardhitter
Contributor
Contributor

On a hunch, I just tried adding this line to the config file:

svga.numDisplays = 1

But, it made no difference.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Huh, that's strange - I tried making a virtual machine based off that config file, and aside from the drive letters, it seemed to work fine - no warnings about multiple monitors. So the .vmx file seems innocent (unless you accidentally snipped out some important information).

hardhitter
Contributor
Contributor

I just checked my snips again, and there's nothing of note there. The second section is nothing but shared folder bits, and the first section sets up some hardware, but nothing related to displays. Unless there's something non-obvious with the PCI bits:

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "33"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "34"

The rest relate to IDE, Ethernet, and UUID.

0 Kudos
pLastikpLu
Contributor
Contributor

Try svga.autodetect = "FALSE".

hardhitter
Contributor
Contributor

That seems to have worked! Thanks!

Given the feature set, I assume this problem will go away altogether in 2.0, but until then....

0 Kudos