VMware Communities
Niklas_Wikman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't see other computers or shared resources in workgroup

Quite new at VMWare Fusion. Install went fine, XP Pro up and running. I can access the Internet, network printers, etc.

But I have some shared resources in the MS Workgroup that I would like to access within the XP. Of course I can access the resources fine in OS X, but it would be very much convenient if I could access them in XP, too.

When looking at the IPCONFIG in XP, the IP-adress is somewhat strange. It starts with 179, but my network is 192.168.0.x. This might be the reason why I cant see anything but XP itself in the workgroup? I changed the workgroup in XP and rebooted, but with no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like your virtual machine's network adapter is in NAT mode. For workgroup browsing to work, your virtual network adapter has to be in bridged mode. That choice has other implications, so check out this short article on network modes:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like your virtual machine's network adapter is in NAT mode. For workgroup browsing to work, your virtual network adapter has to be in bridged mode. That choice has other implications, so check out this short article on network modes:

0 Kudos
Niklas_Wikman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Brian!

Switching from NAT to Bridged did the trick. Now I can see and access

other resources in the Workgroup. Thank you very much for your help!

Regards,

Niklas Wikman

0 Kudos