VMware Communities
magna1
Contributor
Contributor

Can't print :-)

I'm looking for my Valium.

The computer is a Macbook Pro runningthe latest version of OS X.

My Windows side of the Mac is woking fine except I can't print from that side. Printing is OK from the Mac side. I've watched the Fusion training video for setting up printing. I've told the Mac OS to "share" the printers. I've reloaded VM Tools ... both reintalled and "repaired" ... I've made sure the network is "Bridged". Nothing seems to help. Apple support washes their hands of this and the VM sales people have been nice but unable to help. Apparently the VM tech support people can't be bothered because they won't give out a phone number to talk me through the troubleshooting.

Has anyone experienced this before and if so, did you find a solution?

I'm nearing a point of returning the computer to Apple and asking VM Ware for a refund and going back to a Windows computer.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What printer is this? How is it connected to the computer?

0 Kudos
magna1
Contributor
Contributor

I use two printers ... one that is always connected when I am home. It is an HP Laserjet 1320, connected via USB. The other is a small portable Canon iP90 that I use when on the road. It also connects via USB. The little USB port icons (lower right of screen when using Fusion) show the printer connected as it is highlighted and running the cursur over it pops up an otion to disconnect said printer. All printer properties are selectable vis Printer Setup so I assume the driver info is there as well.

Neither printer will print. I should add that I went through the Add Printer routine again. Per the VM Ware video, I selected the very bottom choice for which port to use. That is a virtual USB port (I forget its exact name). Didn't help.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

FWIW I have a HP LaserJet 1320n and it works connected to the Host and shared to the Guest and or connected to the Guest directly using USB or the Network hence the "n" in the name. Unfortunately I will not be at its location till Friday evening to report any of the details although I did nothing special outside of normal installation techniques to make it work.

0 Kudos
magna1
Contributor
Contributor

Problem resolved:

Recently I received a notice that the Fusion software had been updated and that I should go update ... so I did. I can't explain what happened but after that update this print problem appeared. I reinstalled VM Fusion and the problem went away. I wish I could offer an explanation so others could benefit but this is over my head. I appreciate all that offered assistance. I'm disappointed in learning that VMware's tech support will not accept phone calls. Give the unique nature of trying to run Windows on a Mac OS I would think they would offer telephone support for the first 30 days after registering the software. The software runs pretty well but getting it initially set up can be complicated. As mentioned earlier, I did review their online video. While such videos are a reasonable effort to educate customers, sometimes that "cookie cutter" approach still won't provide a resolution.

Again, thanks for those that reached out to help.

0 Kudos