VMware Communities
Kiliclar
Contributor
Contributor

Can't open windows xp on Vm ware (Hard disk of vm ware full)

Hi,

Can Someone help me to get to my files. I have installed windows xp and when i was working the hard disk of windows xp went full and now i cant even open windows xp. is there an solution for it.

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pkx166h
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried to find a way to access a running VM on a Mac Host without knowing the iP address or hostname, I cannot seem to find anything - I had never thought of this before so if anyone has any idea that would be useful. Also VMware do have a tool that can read windows filesystems on a VMDK file (this is the Virtual machine 'disk' as represented on the mac) but this won't work on a mac.

So....

All I can think of is that you should at least try booting in safe mode (when your windows machine starts up you have the option of pressing F2 - you have to be quick

Restart your current VM session either from the windows vm itself or using the Virtual Machine Menu option 'restart guest'.

Now be quick and look for the 'press f2...' message. You have to make sure your mouse has clicked inside the VM before you hit F2 else the VM doesn't detect it. If you miss it you have to start again.

Now you will be in safe mode. You can then (perhaps) use this to access your files. I can't seem to find any other way tofind the VM using the network tools.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Can Someone help me to get to my files. I have installed windows xp and when i was working the hard disk of windows xp went full and now i cant even open windows xp. is there an solution for it.

The first thing I would do is with the Virtual Machine shutdown (not suspended) and VMware Fusion closed is backup the Virtual Machine's Bundle Package.

Next I'd boot to Safe Mode by pressing the F8 Function Key after starting the Virtual Machine and clicking in the Virtual Machine windows to enable it to accept keyboard input.

Once in Safe Mode I would do several things to free up enough disk space to enable the Virtual Machine to start normally. Temporarily set Virtual Memory to not use a Page File. Not to worry the Virtual Machine will run with the the OSes Virtual Memory turned off. It will tell you you have to reboot for the setting to take effect however just say no at this moment.

Next I'd Temporarily turn off System Restore.

These two together will free up enough space for you to boot the Virtual Machine normally and then backup, off the VM, all your data.

Now I would use the information in the following URL to enlarge the Virtual Machine's virtual hard disk and when done turn the Virtual Memory and System Restore back on in the Virtual Machine.

Resizing a Virtual Disk for Windows Guests with Step by Step Instructions

http://communities.vmware.com/message/690626

For info in turning off Virtual Memory in XP look at the following.

How to set performance options in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417

For System Restore look at the following.

How to turn off and turn on System Restore in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405/en-us

Edit: Added info for turning off Virtual Memory and System Restore

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Pressing F2 gets you into the Virtual Machine's BIOS which has nothing to do with entering Safe Mode in Windows which uses the F8 key.

0 Kudos
Sonicar
Contributor
Contributor

I was experiencing the exacly same problem, then I was able to get in Windows XP VM by clicking on the "Revert Snapshot" button at the top of the VM window.

The only draw back was that I lost some of the data that I had last created, but at least I'm in the VM now.

0 Kudos