VMware Communities
soon79
Contributor
Contributor

Can't login to windows 2003 when login is required; ctrl-alt-del doesn't work; tried menu

I've searched the archives and looks like there hasn't really been a good answer to this issue. I have a dual boot macbook pro system (2gb ram, 80gb hd, 1.8ghz processor) using boot camp, windows 2003 sp3 and OS X 10.5.3. When I try to boot up in the virtual machine, the windows login screen appears but I can't actually go in there to type in my password because the keystrokes for ctrl-alt-del doesn't function. I've tried using the menu option for ctrl-alt-del with no avail. VMWare version is 1.1.3.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make that work? I don't have an external keyboard (and why should I need one just to log in?). The only way I can get into windows besides shutting off passwords completely is by booting into boot camp. I'd like to have password login though for security reasons.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

AFAIK Apple does not Support Windows Server 2003 in Boot Camp nor does VMware support it as a Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine. If what you really meant is Windows XP and not Windows 2003 which would be a Server OS then what happens when you click into the Virtual Machine window for it to accept keyboard and mouse input? Does it make a sound? If so have a look at "SecureInput (a.k.a. "I get a beep every time I press a key!")" in .

Otherwise if you boot with out the Login dialog box does Send CtrlAltDel from the Virtual Machine menu work to bring up the dialog box as a test or if you lock the system can you get back in or is it the same as if it was the first boot with the Login dialog box enabled?

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos
ptrscmr2
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried fnctrlalt+del?

Alt isn't really Alt unless you hold down the fn key on Macs.

0 Kudos
soon79
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply - I am running windows xp professional, sp3, so not windows server. After enabling autologin, I find that after getting into the virtual machine, I CANNOT use ctrl-alt-del on my keyboard, nor will it work via menu (sending ctrl-alt-del doesn't do anything). So looks like that's the problem.

Any ideas on how to address this issue? Ctrl-alt-delete obviously works when booting natively into boot camp so I assume it must be a fusion issue. To answer the other replier, I did use ctrl-alt-fn-del since I have a macbook pro keyboard.

0 Kudos