VMware Communities
blix3
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install VMware Tools in XP-SP2

I know that others have had problems installing VMware tools to XP virtual machines running on OS X, but rather than post to threads that are weeks or months old, I thought I'd start a new thread to encourage new problem reports and suggestions for solving this problem.

I installed the latest Fusion beta to my iMac 20 intel core duo (2GB ram, OS X 10.4.9) and had no problem running an XP-SP2 virtual machine created by VMware converter. But I have been unable to install VMware tools.

I have tried every suggestion I could find in past threads about problems installing tools, such as disconnecting and reconnecting the CD/DVD, or even trying to install while the CD/DVD is disconnected. I also found the .iso with tools for the XP and designated that as the CD/DVD. No luck. I uninstalled Fusion, downloaded a new beta file, and reinstalled. That didn't help. After I click on the button to begin the install, nothing further happens, other than the virtual machine menu substituting "cancel virtual tools installation" for the previous "install virtual tools." I've waited as long as hours before giving up and cancelling the install.

By the way, I also installed the Fusion beta on a Macbook (1.5GB ram, OS X 10.4.8) and was able to install VMware tools to another XP vm (not SP2) that was created with VMware converter. No problems. Fusion ran fine before tools and even better after tools installed.

So . . . I'd welcome input on this, especially from those who have had similar problems and figured out how to overcome them and successfully install tools.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What happens if you manually connect the iso and run the installer? Does it fail to run, do you get an error message, etc.?

0 Kudos
blix3
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean by "manually connect the iso." For one installation attempt, I browsed to the iso and clicked on it as my CD/DVD, to make it as easy as possible for the installation routine to find the necessary files. There was no difference from my previous experiences with installation. The drop down appeared, I clicked to proceed, and nothing happened after that, except that in the virtual machine menu the option to install vmware tools was replaced by the option to cancel installation.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure what you mean by "manually connect the

iso." For one installation attempt, I browsed to the

iso and clicked on it as my CD/DVD, to make it as

easy as possible for the installation routine to find

the necessary files. There was no difference from my

previous experiences with installation. The drop down

appeared, I clicked to proceed, and nothing happened

What drop down? You need to be specific.

OK, step-by-step:

1. Log into XP administrator account

2. Disconnect CD/DVD

3. Virtual Machine > CD/DVD > Choose Disk Image...

4. Choose /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/windows.iso

5. Connect CD/DVD

6. If you have autorun enabled, the installer should start. If not, run setup.exe from the CD (D: by default)

0 Kudos
blix3
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, let's compare step-by-steps. Here's mine, when I specify the iso instead of just the generic CD/DVD:

1. highlight virtual machine name

2. click settings

3. click CD/DVD

4. click use disk image

5. choose windows.iso

6. click OK

7. click arrow to start virtual machine

8. click install vmware tools on virtual machine menu

9. click install on drop down (the one that says "Installing the VMware Tools package will greatly enhance . . ." and so on, and then requires you to click install)

10. wait . . . and wait . . . and wait . . .

Nothing happens, except on the virtual machine menu, where install vmware tools is replaced by cancel vmware tools installation.

The above refers to my iMac 20. On my Macbook, I didn't bother trying to choose the iso. VMware tools installed fine without that.

0 Kudos
blix3
Contributor
Contributor

Problem solved! You mentioned that if autorun was disabled I'd need to run setup.exe. I did that and now have VMware Tools installed.

For others experiencing this problem, here's the step-by-step solution:

1. highlight virtual machine name

2. click settings

3. click CD/DVD

4. click use disk image

5. choose /library/application support/vmware fusion/iso images/windows.iso

6. click OK

7. start virtual machine

8. run Explorer

9. click on CD

10. click on setup.exe and OK everything from this point on

VMware Tools will install. After installation, you may find that the screen resolution has changed. Just right click on the screen, click properties, and click the settings tab, where you can set the resolution to whatever you want. Also, don't forget to go back to the virtual machine settings and change the CD/DVD to automatically detect or specify a particular drive, instead of the iso.

Thanks for your help on this!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

9. click install on drop down (the one that says

"Installing the VMware Tools package will greatly

enhance . . ." and so on, and then requires you to

click install)

10. wait . . . and wait . . . and wait . . .

Right, "Install VMware Tools" only does steps 2-6 from my list, it relies on Windows autorun.

0 Kudos