VMware Communities
DanielIversen
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install VMWare Tools (Fusion 8.5.7) on Windows 10 guest

Hi there,

I can't seem to install VMWare Tools, I get an error about the "VMWare CAF Management Agent Service" service not able to start!

Here's a screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/fxqdpmxqydpla4iq6k9qf/screenshot%202017-06-20%2004.44.38.png?dl=0

Any idea what's going on here? (the event viewer tells me nothing apart from the VMWare CAF service won't start and that it takes too long to respond)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Daniel

5 Replies
DanielIversen
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW, I never found a solution.

0 Kudos
bfan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you try to manually restart that service in guest's services setting?  if not work, restart the guest os and install tools again.  In most cases, this issue will be solved.

0 Kudos
DanielIversen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for your response, really appreciate it! Should have said that but i did those things already and the symptom was unchanged.

the problem is probably self inflicted, maybe my ISO of VMware tools doesnt match my VMware (had to download a new tools from a VMware trial band cause I couldn't find it inside my proper install anymore) and my guest VM was the Microsoft one for testing the Edge browser - maybe it had an incompatible VMware tools already I'm not sure because by the time I thought about it I'd already tried installing it again and then I tried uninstalling it etc)

anyways, i don't have the VM anymore and haven't tried with another one. Thanks a lot for the response though and hope others don't bump into the same issue.

0 Kudos
marcello76
Contributor
Contributor

Solved for me.

I've deleted the CAF folder inside c:\programdata\vmware.

For some reason it contains configuration files corrupted and unreadable.

I hope this could be useful

Ciao

Marcello

eugk
Contributor
Contributor

marcello76

That fixed it for me, thanks!

0 Kudos