VMware Communities
jurvis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't install OS X 10.5 Server in Fusion 4.0.2

I've tried to install a Mac OS X 10.5.0 Server guest in VMWare Fusion 4.0.2 running on an early 2008 Xserve to no avail.  The host OS on the Xserve is OS X 10.6.8 Server.  The 10.5.0 Server simply hangs on install partway through.  I've also tried using 10.5.4 Server installation media.  The 10.5.4 Server installer bombs out with the following error: 'The Installer could not install some files in "/Volumes/Macintosh HD".' 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi jurvis,

Can you use Disk Utility to create an image of your installation media, and then try installing a fresh VM from that image?  That will tell you if there is a problem with the source media -- and, as an added bonus, it will also usually install somewhat faster from a disc image than from the physical disc.  If it still won't install from the image you created, can you take a screenshot of the point where the guest fails, then power off the guest and post the screenshot and the vmware.log corresponding to that run?

Thanks,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi jurvis,

Can you use Disk Utility to create an image of your installation media, and then try installing a fresh VM from that image?  That will tell you if there is a problem with the source media -- and, as an added bonus, it will also usually install somewhat faster from a disc image than from the physical disc.  If it still won't install from the image you created, can you take a screenshot of the point where the guest fails, then power off the guest and post the screenshot and the vmware.log corresponding to that run?

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
jurvis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Darius,

Thanks for the reply.  I performed a full disk scan on both DVDs at the second attempted installation of each.  I've begun imaging the media if that is insufficient to exonerate the source media as the problem.

I've attached a screenshot from the failure for the 10.5.4 server install.  Not much to go on, I know.  Which vmware.log are you referring to?  I see several in ~/Library/Logs/ .  vmware-vmfusion.log looks the most relevant...  would you want to see the whole thing or snipped down to just the period concerning this install?

Thanks,

JL

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi jurvis, and thanks for getting back to me with your update so quickly! :smileycool:

At the point of failure in the 10.5.4 install, you may be able to choose Window > Installer Log or something like that (if I remember correctly... I am nowhere near my Mac right now, and it's been a while since I checked with 10.5.x).  If so, does that show any hints as to what went wrong?  You might be able to adjust the Detail Level in the log window to get more info and check on what happened at the time of the failure.  Feel free to post a screenshot of it if you think I might be able to help decipher it.

The vmware.log in question is in the virtual machine's folder on the host.  In Finder, you should be able to select the virtual machine in question, and right-click (or ctrl-click) and choose Show Package Contents.  The log files should be in the folder that appears.  It'd probably be best to post the entire vmware.log from the failed run, if possible.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
jurvis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to install successfully using the .cdr I created from the 10.5.4 media!  I can't explain how it passed the media verification in the installer and yet failed to install, but... hopefully that's a bug that VMware can iron out.  I'd be happy to post the installer log or vmware log if any official VMware folk are interested.

Thanks for the help Darius.

0 Kudos