VMware Communities
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Can't install Fusion 8 on El Capitan?

I'm having a tough time installing Fusion 8 on the El Capitan beta! I was under the impression from the marketing material that El Capitan was supported. I know the DMG I downloaded isn't corrupted because that worked just fine on a Yosemite machine.

So is El Capitan as a host supported yet or should I wait?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

My first suggestion would be to run Disk Utility and verify the integrity of your host's disks.  It's possible that filesystem corruption could cause what you are seeing.

If the disk verifies OK, the next step would be Apple Hardware Test or Apple Diagnostics: Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

If that still doesn't turn up anything interesting, it might be time to check for malware on your host.  Smiley Sad

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for using Fusion. Yes, Fusion 8 support EI Capitan for sure. We tested it from beta 1 to latest beta 7. So what is the exactly issue did you see?

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It should work... But having said that, El Capitan is still not at final release, so we might yet be broken by updates made available after Fusion 8 was finalized.  (I believe installing the very latest El Capitan beta as a guest is broken on Fusion 8, for instance...)

What problem or symptom are you observing?  At what point does it fail?  What is the build number of El Capitan (e.g. "15A215h") you have installed on your host?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I can't even install it. Double-clicking the app in the dmg causes the attached. And this is on a freshly-downloaded DMG.

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 20.52.29.png

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Interesting.  Try launching your host's Console.app and watch the system logs while double-clicking on VMware Fusion.app again.  Do any fresh messages in the system log give any indication as to why it considers the application to be damaged?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Aug 25, 15 21:02:20.454 lsd[274]: LaunchServices: Could not store lsd-identifiers file at /private/var/db/lsd/com.apple.lsdschemes.plist

Aug 25, 15 21:02:20.505 CoreServicesUIAgent[6763]: Error -60005 creating authorization

Aug 25, 15 21:02:20.539 CoreServicesUIAgent[6763]: Error SecAssessmentCreate: The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -67054.)

Those three lines appear when I attempt to launch VMware Fusion.app from the DMG.

I also cannot copy the app out of the DMG via Finder or Terminal.

I'm trying another download. EDIT: Nope, same error, new download. Gonna try downloading it on a Windows computer now.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hm, weird... It should work, absolutely.

Try verifying the MD5 sum of the download, something somewhere is getting corrupted.

http://www.vmware.com/download/md5.html

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This is super weird!

When I download the Fusion DMG, the MD5 matches. After I attempt to install Fusion, the DMG somehow gets damaged and the md5 changes.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

My first suggestion would be to run Disk Utility and verify the integrity of your host's disks.  It's possible that filesystem corruption could cause what you are seeing.

If the disk verifies OK, the next step would be Apple Hardware Test or Apple Diagnostics: Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

If that still doesn't turn up anything interesting, it might be time to check for malware on your host.  Smiley Sad

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yup, it was disk corruption that thankfully Disk Utility could fix.

0 Kudos