VMware Communities
mario_bros_tech
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install El Capitan guest on Fusion Player 12.1.0

Hi,

After downloading a fresh copy of OS X El Capitan from Apple and attempting to install it in a VM, the machine boots up just fine, but none of the keyboard/mouse drivers seem to be working. I can't press Enter to select my language, and the cursor is stuck in the top-left corner.

All other versions of OS X seem to be working fine as guest VMs, so I think (but am not sure) that this might be an issue on VMware's end. Would someone else be willing to test this theory and point me in the right direction to file a bug report is this is the case?

Thank you!

5 Replies
mario_bros_tech
Contributor
Contributor

I just found out that this also happens in OS X Yosemite guests, but only after installing the latest security update. No other versions of macOS seem to be affected by this issue (I've tested Mountain Lion - Mojave).

dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I haven't run into this problem with my El Capitan guest, but I did with my Yosemite guest and others have also reported it for El Capitan (perhaps due to a change in later software versions?).

It is fixed by going into the settings for the VM: choose USB & BlueTooth, reveal the Advanced USB Options and set USB Compatibility to USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Yes, now it happens both with Yosemite and El Capitan (which also feel more sluggish to virtualize than more recent macOS versions)...

0 Kudos
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The tool you need to fix the sluggish-ness is called : beamoff.zip

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302424-yosemite-on-vmware-unusable/

Unzip, and add the app to Login items to automatically launch on login.

0 Kudos
komohi2222
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar problem. When starting the virtual machine, the screen stuck with displaying wireless mouse and machine to power on. VMware technical support advised mr to change virtual machine's USB settings form 3.1 to 2.0. After doing so, the virtual machine started normally and I could install Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan as a guest OS.

I hope this might help...

0 Kudos