VMware Communities
douglasb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can't install Boot Camp support software

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 13 late 2013, running Mavericks 10.9.1.

I have installed the latest version of VMWare Fusion (6.02), then installed Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit version. And I installed VMWare tools in Windows.

When I try to use the external Superdrive (USB) in windows, I get a message from VMWare that says I need to download the Boot Camp support software to be able to use the Superdrive.

I followed the instructions, first from Boot Camp Assistant, then by downloading the support software from Apple. When I try to install the Boot Camp support software in Windows, I get the following error:

"This version of Boot Camp is not intended for this computer model." I have attached a screen shot of the error.

The version of the support software I downloaded from Apple is 5.1.5640, which says it is the correct version for my MacBook and version of Windows.

I am not running Boot Camp itself. I just want to install the support drivers, per what VMWare told me.

Is there a solution?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try executing just the AppleODDInstaller64.exe file from: Boot Camp > Drivers > Apple

From the AppleODD64.inf file, which I extracted out of the file above:

AppleOOD.png

FWIW I've never had to install any driver for my SuperDrive in a normal file based Virtual Machine, don't use Boot Camp anymore, and I can Read/Write CD/DVD without any issues when connecting it to the Guest.  Normally though I just leave it connected to the Mac and the Guest can see the disc just fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You shouldn't have to install Boot Camp drivers in a normal Windows Virtual Machine to use the Apple USB SuperDrive connected to the Virtual Machine...

I just tested using VMware Fusion 6.0.2, Windows 8.1 x64 connecting the Apple USB SuperDrive directly to the Virtual Machine and it played a DVD without any problem using VLC! Smiley Wink  (Without installing any Boot Camp drivers.)

0 Kudos
douglasb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried the SuperDrive again just to be sure I'm not crazy.

The drive connects to windows and I can see it in Windows Explorer. When I select Eject, I can hear the drive working.

But when I try to insert a CD, it does not pull the CD into the drive.

Since you've got a working Superdrive with the same Fusion and Windows versions I'm using, I'm thinking it must have something to do with the model of MacBook I have, which is the MacBook Pro Retina 13 late 2013.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Mine did the same thing at first and after I disconnected/reconnected it pulled the disc in and played.  So try disconnecting/reconnecting the Apple USB SuperDrive from/to the Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
douglasb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Still no luck, Woody.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try executing just the AppleODDInstaller64.exe file from: Boot Camp > Drivers > Apple

From the AppleODD64.inf file, which I extracted out of the file above:

AppleOOD.png

FWIW I've never had to install any driver for my SuperDrive in a normal file based Virtual Machine, don't use Boot Camp anymore, and I can Read/Write CD/DVD without any issues when connecting it to the Guest.  Normally though I just leave it connected to the Mac and the Guest can see the disc just fine.

0 Kudos
douglasb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This worked, Woody. I can now use the Superdrive in the virtual machine.

My desktop, running Windows 7 in the virtual machine, never needed any special drivers, either. But there's something about the Retina 13 or Windows 8.1 that requires the driver.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
katcowman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I have the same problem, some model mac, same problem loading the support drivers.

But instead I am trying to get the iSight Camera to connect to my Windows VM. Have to video teleconference for work and screen cast certain windows apps.

I tried looking for the specific driver for just the camera, but no luck.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

katcowman wrote: ... But instead I am trying to get the iSight Camera to connect to my Windows VM. Have to video teleconference for work and screen cast certain windows apps.

I tried looking for the specific driver for just the camera, but no luck.

Did you try the AppleCamera64.exe file from: Boot Camp > Drivers > Apple?

0 Kudos
katcowman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did but no luck.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What OS is running in the VM?

0 Kudos
katcowman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running OS X 10.9.2

the VM is a Win 7 64 bit

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you get it from Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5640?  If not, this is the latest drivers available for the model you have.

0 Kudos
katcowman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did use that one.

Could the problem have to do with things being connected with PCIe?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the camera is not on the USB Bus then that could be the problem.

0 Kudos
katcowman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yea just came across an article about the newer MB air, and that VM Ware is still working on connecting the new HD Face Time Cameras.

Thanks for your help though.