VMware Communities
badibeat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't have permanent Escape Key and Function Keys with Touch Bar in Fusion 11

Fusion 11 (Pro) doesn't allow me to have a permanent Escape Key and the Function Keys together on the Touch Bar.

When the Function Keys are active, then the Escape Key just cancels the Function Keys and switches back to the poor choice of alternatives that come with Fusion (my brightness is ok, I hardly ever print screens and I don't manage many virtual machines, I want to work efficiently on just a single one.)

I really hope I missed something or this gets corrected with an update soonish!

The Escape Key is (almost) the single most important Key for both Programming and CAD and speed. And the Function keys are also there for speeding up things, too...

I feel like someone want's to punish me for having a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
badibeat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The solution is in Mac OS, the Keyboard Shortcut "Function Keys" can be assigned to any app and will permanently display the Escape Key and F1 through F12 in the Touch bar.

The option "Customize Toolbar ..." option in the Menu of VMWare Fusion will be grayed out if you have selected this shortcut for VMWare Fusion.app. 

To set this: 

Open System Preferences.app, select Keyboard and then the Shortcuts tab. From the shortcuts list on the left select "Function Keys" which will be highlighted. Then press the "+" button below the app list to add a new app. In the browse popup select VMWare Fusion.app.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
badibeat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The solution is in Mac OS, the Keyboard Shortcut "Function Keys" can be assigned to any app and will permanently display the Escape Key and F1 through F12 in the Touch bar.

The option "Customize Toolbar ..." option in the Menu of VMWare Fusion will be grayed out if you have selected this shortcut for VMWare Fusion.app. 

To set this: 

Open System Preferences.app, select Keyboard and then the Shortcuts tab. From the shortcuts list on the left select "Function Keys" which will be highlighted. Then press the "+" button below the app list to add a new app. In the browse popup select VMWare Fusion.app.

0 Kudos