VMware Communities
strangecargo
Contributor
Contributor

Can't get VMWare Fusion 2.0.6 to boot my Windows 7 Boot Camp partition

Whenever I try to start my Windows 7 Boot Camp partition as a VMWare Fusion 2.0.6 guest, I see this error flash across the screen (so fast, it's hard to screen capture) and then the VM reboots and I'm presented with the Windows Error Recovery screen. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Host Machine:

OS X 10.6.1

Mac Book Pro 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo

8GB RAM

0 Kudos
13 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

At the present time Apple does not support Windows 7 under Boot Camp, although the say by the end of the year they will, and VMware Fusion 2.x does not fully support Windows 7 either but the BSOD you getting refers to a driver issue most likely with the hard drive/controller or the keyboard driver.

Have a look at: Search Community for STOP 7B

0 Kudos
strangecargo
Contributor
Contributor

I've been able to run Windows 7 natively under boot camp on my 17" MBP; the problem is that I can't seem to get it running as a VMWare Guest under OS X. Regardless of whether or not Apple supports Windows 7 under Boot Camp, my problem that VMWare doesn't seem to support running Windows 7 from my Boot Camp partition under OS X.

0 Kudos
arbi
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm. I could have sworn I read about a lot of people running Windows 7 RC/RTM's to boot camp. Did they have to hack something to get it to work or something?

0 Kudos
arbi
Contributor
Contributor

It's funny to be able actually see a screen capture of a BSOD since you can't screen capture it in a native installation (as opposed to VM). Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said it not supported by Apple and to add to what I already said... in turn typically VMware wouldn't support it either although I believe it will be under 3.0 but I believe that technically Fusion 2.x only has experimental support for Windows 7 at this point even though it can run presently under Fusion 2.x.

Anyway the solution is to isolate why the BSOD is occurring and correct it if possible and search results link provides the information the most likely driver issue with the hard drive/controller or the keyboard driver. Basically Fusion is supposed to prepare the Boot Camp partition install of Windows to run as a Virtual Machine an in short it does this by injecting drivers and registry information for those drivers and when it fails one has to do this manually and the information needed can be gleaned from may of the replies in the search link I provided.

0 Kudos
arbi
Contributor
Contributor

I just did a little research myself:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/08/31/boot.camp.win.7.64.support/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10315168-1.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Quote from article 1: The latest version of Boot Camp -- found in Mac OS X Snow Leopard -- supports the 64-bit version of Windows 7

Quote from article 2: First of all, the new Boot Camp includes all the drivers necessary to run both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 smoothly on the Mac hardware.

So it appears it is supported by Apple.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

According to Apple and from their own site!...

Mac OS X Technical Specifications

Boot Camp

requires Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista (sold separately).

About Boot Camp and Windows 7

• Last Modified: October 22, 2009

• Article: HT3920

Summary

Apple will support Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate) with Boot Camp in Mac OS X Snow Leopard before the end of the year. This support will require a software update to Boot Camp.

0 Kudos
arbi
Contributor
Contributor

Then I stand corrected that officially Apple hasn't supported it yet. However, now that the release version of Windows 7 is out, and I'm sure there are even more people installing it on their bootcamp, I would like to hear people's experiences and if they have encountered any problems with their bootcamp 3.0 drivers in either their 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 installations.

0 Kudos
Dunji71
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded my Bootcamp installation of Vista x64 with the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD.

And everything works perfectly out of the box with the previously installed bootcamp 3.0 drivers.

No problems so far when running Windows 7 natively.

Under VMWare Fusion I get the 7B error while booting.....

0 Kudos
schleuss
Contributor
Contributor

this worked out of the box for me in both 2.0.6 and 3.0 on a SATA setup. Both OS's are on separate HDDs, both are SATA/AHCI in the native hardware profile.

The problem could be related to that, at least I had those problems in the past using IDE drives.

best

Emanuel

0 Kudos
Dunji71
Contributor
Contributor

My bootcamp partition is on the internal harddrive of my MacPro (2009 model).

I also believe that this is a driver problem of the virtual ide controller.

Maybe I could install that driver in native mode and let the virtual machine use it afterwards?

0 Kudos
kellerbryan19
Contributor
Contributor

Any progress on this?

0 Kudos
Dunji71
Contributor
Contributor

After upgrading to Fusion 3 and deleting the /Users//Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0 directory, everything works out of the box.

Maybe deleting that directory works for Fusion 2.0 as well, but I didn't check that

0 Kudos