VMware Communities
aviciouscycle
Contributor
Contributor

Can't get Mac Number pad to work in Windows 7

I run Mac with VM Ware fusion.  I have installed Quickbooks 2013 and Windows 7 x64.  When I ran my old Quickbooks on Windows XP, I had no problem.  Wanted a fresh start, so this installed on  a different computer.  Have tried many solutions but cannot get VM Ware to recognize the number pad portion of my Mac Keyboard.  I really need this for Quickbooks!  Help?!?!?

8 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

have you tried using the clear key ?

hitting the clear key usually activates the num pad in windows .

Cheers! Avanish
aviciouscycle
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but the clear key doesn't work.  Press option (right alt) doesn't work.  Control + click doesn't work.  number pad enter key doesn't work.  UGH!  Please someone - another idea?

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Can you try these steps and let me know if it works or not?

1. Open you TextEdit on Mac host, enter number by Number pad.

2. If 1 works, open Notepad on your Window 7, enter number by Number pad.

3. If 2 doesn't work, press clear and re-try.

4. if 3 still doesn't work, enter some words in Notepad and see if 8, 4, 2, 6 works. (up, left, down, right)

It works for me on Fusion 5.0.2, but I have to press clear in step 2.

0 Kudos
alyanm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that tip, Clear key works like a charm for me! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
itwasepic
Contributor
Contributor

THANKS!!  The "Clear" key worked for me!!! I've been trying to find the solution for months now!

0 Kudos
Doc69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks! This worked for me.

0 Kudos
Marcin77
Contributor
Contributor

I believe I have the same problem.

I have a third-party USB numeric keypad attached to my Mac, and it appears that VMware Fusion thinks my numeric keypad is permanently in "Num Lock Off" mode (numbers move the cursor, but do not enter digits).  The keypad has a "Num Lock" key, which is recognized by OSX, but is ignored by Win7 in VMware Fusion VM.

Solution mentioned in this thread keep on mentioning "Clear" button, which does not exist on my Mac keyboard, or the numeric keypad.

Any ideas what else may solve the issue?

0 Kudos
Marcin77
Contributor
Contributor

I just found a very interesting solution to my problem.  I am guessing that for some reason Win7 was not acknowledging the existence of numeric keypad or NumLock or something like that.  In my search for solution I came across the following post:

Re: Caps-lock and num-lock turning off when clicking into horizon client

The solution suggests placing the .vbs script in StartUp folder.  I only needed to run the script once.  Since then Win7 now recognizes the NumLock key on my third party numeric keypad.

0 Kudos