VMware Communities
mayhemuk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't find a bootable drive

I have a new Mac Air. Infact - this mac thing is new to me altogether... as is Fusion... and I can't install my new copy of Windows Vista (business) because I set up a virtual machine, but it says: PXE-E53 no boot filename recieved, PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM

I am using a Mac Air Superdrive for the boot disk, which is a USB connection.

I looked at the FAQs and found:

"Can't find CD/DVD a.k.a. What's this PXE thing?

If the BIOS is unable to find any bootable media, by default it will fall back to attempting to PXE boot (i.e. boot off the network). If possible, verify that your installation media is good (have you used it successfully before?). If you're using a physical CD/DVD to install from, it should disappear from the desktop when the virtual machine starts, which indicates that the virtual machine managed to get ownership of the drive."

Well, I am not all that sure what all that means, but I CAN confirm that in the bottom right footer, the USB logo for the superdrive is blue (and says it is connected). In being connected it also disappears from the Mac desktop. When it fails to load, a menu pops up saying no bootable device detected and suggests I insert a bootable device and resart the virtual machine. If I suspend the virtual machine, the drive ejects, sending the focus of the drive back to the Mac.

Not sure what other information to give, (except that my first impressions of Macs are that they are maybe not as cool as I was led to believe!)

Hope someone can help?

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The ISO Image sounds a workable plan. I'll give that a try... although I don't know how to do that yet!

Directions are in my first reply.

Some of the other things you say don't sound like they are as you expect... I the status bar I only really get a message saying vmware tools is is not yet installed... but the help says I can't install those until Windows is installed. I also don't get any "press F2" prompts... it goes straight to a Mac address number and then the PXE stuff. I can't get a command prompt at all - just repeating the pxe routine.

What version of Fusion are you using? Information in my reply is specific to Fusion 1.x as this Forum is for Fusion 1.x as Fusion 2.0 is still in Beta and has it's own Forum...

There is a separate Beta Forum Community for the VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta Program that includes bug reporting. Please refer your posts with this product to the VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta Community.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not sure what other information to give, (except that my first impressions of Macs are that they are maybe not as cool as I was led to believe!)

Hope someone can help?

In the context of being new to Mac's, Fusion and trying to create a Virtual Machine for the first time on a MacBook Air no less then I understand you saying this however out of that context I'd have to disagree with you as Apple hardware much less OS X Leopard is far superior to anything Microsoft has to offer!

Frankly IMO it's a little absurd to think that one can just walk up to and start using something one has not used before or has little or no knowledge and or working experience of and expect to have things go like a hot knife goes through butter. It's just not practical! Smiley Happy

Anyway I'd suggest you create an ISO Image of the Vista DVD and install from the ISO and the following information should help you to do that.

Here is some more information that should be of some help...

If the Virtual Machine is not booting the CD/DVD or ISO Image then select the CD-ROM from the Boot Menu.

To engage the Boot Menu and select CD-ROM Drive...

At the bottom on the Virtual Machine Display just above the Status Bar after starting the Virtual Machine it states...

"Press F2 to enter SETUP, F12 for Network Boot, ESC for Boot Menu"

On the Status Bar it states...

"To direct input to this virtual machine, click inside the window."

Now the BIOS flashes by very quick so one has to work quickly however give it a try and if the Boot Menu can't be brought up then the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file will need to be edited to slow down the POST and or change the Boot Order.

Okay, click the big Play button on the Virtual Machine Display and then quickly mouse click into the Virtual Machine's Display and then press the Esc key to bring up the Boot Menu and select the CD-ROM Drive. If it boots the CD fine and if the Boot Menu doesn't show because it just goes to quick then try again or...

Look at the Boot Delay section in and the Virtual Machine Files section in on where the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file is and add the following lines to the file. TextEdit can be used to edit the .vmx file.

To give more time to engage the Boot Menu add the following...

bios.bootDelay = "3000"

To, one time, force the Virtual Machine into the BIOS to change the Boot Order in the BIOS so the CD-ROM is first add the following....

bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"

Notes: By default in Fusion 1.x normal file based Fusion Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder and depending on Host OS ver. and or Fusion ver. there may be a .localized after Virtual Machines although by default this extension is not visible in Finder.

~ Is your Home Folder.

Files that comprise the Virtual Machine are placed in a Folder (a.k.a. Bundle and or Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default this extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP".

To view the Package Contents of the "Windows XP.vmwarevm" folder ctrl-click (or right-click) the "Windows XP" icon and select Show Package Contents.

To edit the .vmx configuration file ctrl-click (or right-click) on the "Windows XP.vmx" file and select Open With > Other... then in Choose Application choose TextEdit.

Note: If using Firefox do not copy and paste the parameters if using TextEdit unless you only copy the exact line and nothing else otherwise use an Editor like TextWrangler.

Also...

When using Disk Utility in order to have a bootable ISO Image you should select CD/DVD Master with no encryption in which case by default it will have a .cdr file extension and in version 1.1 of Fusion and later does not need to be changed to .iso although one can if one chooses to. A default .dmg image is compressed and is not bootable although an uncompressed .dmg will boot if changed to .iso and of course the source CD/DVD must be bootable in the first place.

To create an ISO Image using Disk Utility...

1. Insert the CD or DVD disc in your computer's optical drive.

2. Open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility).

3. Select the CD or DVD disc in the list of disks and volumes.

4. Choose File > New > "Disk Image from (Name of Disc)."

5. Type a name for the disc image.

6. Choose "DVD/CD master" from the Image Format pop-up menu.

7. Choose "none" from the Encryption pop-up menu.

8. Click Save.

Also...

Have a look at: VMware Fusion menu bar > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Configuring the CD/DVD Drive

mayhemuk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

>>Aside: Probably a side swipe at Apple wasn't the best plan just when I'm trying to get help Smiley Happy

Thanks - that's really given me alot to go on. I'll let you know how I go. I'm going through the points - but had to print the thread off - every time I tried to open it up in a second window in safari so I could read it and write here, Safari figures it out and doesn't let me do that. (Not Apple... nice Apple... Smiley Happy )

The ISO Image sounds a workable plan. I'll give that a try... although I don't know how to do that yet!

Some of the other things you say don't sound like they are as you expect... I the status bar I only really get a message saying vmware tools is is not yet installed... but the help says I can't install those until Windows is installed. I also don't get any "press F2" prompts... it goes straight to a Mac address number and then the PXE stuff. I can't get a command prompt at all - just repeating the pxe routine.

Also, of course, trying to click on the connect DVD/ CD drive comes up with a message saying no drive on host... which - being a mac air is true... hence the USB superdrive.

So I am guessing the other help is secondary to my inability to get my head around the basics!

I'll start looking up ISO images now... if that fails I guess I could use Bootcamp first? (I'm guessing that's not as good as a clean fusion install?)

Anyway - I appreciate the help so far - but I'm a bit away from fixing my problem at the moment.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Directions are in my first reply.

What version of Fusion are you using? Information in my reply is specific to Fusion 1.x as this Forum is for Fusion 1.x as Fusion 2.0 is still in Beta and has it's own Forum...

There is a separate Beta Forum Community for the VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta Program that includes bug reporting. Please refer your posts with this product to the VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta Community.

0 Kudos
mayhemuk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No it's 1.1.3. Thanks, I can see the ISo instructions now ...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Obviously the messages in the Status Bar will change depending on what state the Virtual Machine is in however below is a screenshot showing you the messages I stated in my first reply in this thread. BTW as a general rule if it isn't a fact I don't say it unless I otherwise qualify what it is I'm saying. Smiley Happy

mayhemuk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks,

I can't recall seeing that image and I can't seem to "close" the virtual machine at all... just suspend it, so I never get a chance to restart it to see if I would get it again. However - the Disk Image seems to be copying nicely as I speak. I guess I'll start again with a new virtual machine. Jst then need to work out how to delete the old one... I'll assume I just delete the files in the relevant Virtual Machine directory. But I recall seeing someone ask that question in this forum a while back. So I can check there Smiley Happy

You've been most helpful matey. Cheers.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I can't recall seeing that image and I can't seem to "close" the virtual machine at all... just suspend it, so I never get a chance to restart it to see if I would get it again.

With the Virtual Machine running click the Virtual Machine menu and then pressing the option key changes "Shutdown Guest" to "Power Off".

Note: This also has the same effect as pulling the plug from the wall on a real PC in that any unsaved Data will be lost.

Alos it also changes the "Supend Guest" and "Restart Guest" commands too.

1718_1718.gif

I guess I'll start again with a new virtual machine. Jst then need to work out how to delete the old one... I'll assume I just delete the files in the relevant Virtual Machine directory.

Have a look at: VMware Fusion menu bar > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Running VMware Fusion and Virtual Machines > Deleting a Virtual Machine

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I see that Woody's gotten you well on the way to a solution, but I thought I'd explain why you were probably having issues with the the SuperDrive.

As noted in , USB devices can only be controlled by one OS at a time, so when the SuperDrive is connected to the virtual machine, OS X can't use it (e.g. it disappears from your desktop). However, I don't think our virtual BIOS is capable of USB booting, so connecting it as a USB device to the virtual machine doesn't help. What you want to do is use it as an optical drive; tell Fusion to use the physical drive and it should work. The catch is that if you've already connected the SuperDrive as a USB device, it's not available to OS X (and therefore Fusion) as an optical drive. You'd need to disconnect it as a USB drive and connect it as an optical drive.

However, knowing how to make an iso image is pretty useful too, and can solve other problems at the same time.

0 Kudos