VMware Communities
RickCAZ
Contributor
Contributor

Can't extend Win10 Partition

When I installed Fusion and Win10, the virtual HD size was set to 60 GB.  I recently increased the Fusion size to 120 GB.  Inside Win10 Disk Manager shows 60 GB unallocated.  The Extend button is grayed out.  Is there some way to force Win10 to extend the partition to the full 120 GB I opted for?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This is most likely because Win10 tends to put a recovery partition right after your main partition.

Eg. like this:

pastedImage_0.png

(Screen shot from Disk Management)

In your case the new free space is likely to be after that Recovery Partition and you cannot extend your current main partition unless you move the Recovery Partition to the end of the disk.

You can do so using for example the linux live CD "systemrescuecd", I had the same issue two weeks ago and it took me all of 4 minutes to move the recovery partition.

The latest version of systemrescuecd works fine for this.

For more details see this post:

Re: Allocating space to a virtual HD

(don't read the post to the bottom it goes into way too much other details not relevant for your issue)

edit: As is always with such actions, do make a backup if your VM contains anything of value.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
RickCAZ
Contributor
Contributor

You are exactly correct.  The new free space is after the recovery partition.  It has been a long time since I did any Windows work (XP/Vista), before I switched to Macs in disgust.  Or maybe I am remembering incorrectly.  Anyway, will the Linux product you recommended work with Win10?  Its all coming back to me, like a bad dream.  I used to use Partition Magic.  But I'l check out your recommendation.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

yes, just download the latest version.

If you remember partition magic then you will feel right at home as the user interface of gparted is modelled exactly like that.

When you boot from the linux CD, type "startx" if you end up in the console mode and you'll get a GUI with gparted in the taskbar at the bottom.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos