VMware Communities
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Can't create non-dynamically expanding disks?

I could not find vmware-vdiskmanager, so I used the New VM wizard to create a disk but I would like to create a fully expanded disk like on ESX so my VMDK doesn't get fragmented. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I think what you really want is the feature found in Workstation and VMware Server to pre-allocate all the space for a virtual disk; this isn't exactly the same as ESX Server's monolithic disks, but the net effect is similar.

Anyway, I'll defer to the Fusion experts about your feature request. But I can help you find vmware-vdiskmanager. It is bundled with VMware Server (which you can download for free), Workstation, and other products in the hosted family. So, for example, on Windows hosts, you might find it in places like these:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation

or

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server

I believe, but can't confirm right now, that vmware-vdiskmanager is also bundled with Workstation-esque products for Linux, but I can't confirm that right now, due to a fried IDE controller (arrrgh).

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks. Yes, I am referring to single, monolithic, fully-allocated vmdk disk file.

On the question of vmware-vdiskmanager, I was referring to this application specifically on OS X. I can certainly run that utility on Linux/Windows and transfer the resultant file to OS X, but I would prefer not to. For a fully allocated file that amounts to transferring a file almost entirely full of a constant value such as (0) zero Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Although the new VM wizard in Fusion private beta does not allow you to create such disk, they should work if you bring one from another platform.

For a fully allocated file that amounts to transferring a file almost entirely full of a

constant value such as (0) zero

Hint: such a file compresses very, very well Smiley Happy