VMware Communities
MacNoo
Contributor
Contributor

Can't copy folder from virtual ntfs to shared hfs+ -- error

MBP OSX 10.5.6, WinXP Pro SP3, Fusion 2.01

Hi,

If, in WinXP VM, I try to copy a pdf file with the name "RE%20Financing20Case%20Studies_en" from virtual NTFS disk to the physical HFS+ disk (shared), I get an error dialogue "Cannot copy : The filename, directory name, or volume name syntax is incorrect."

At first, being new to MacOS, I thought that hfs+ may not like '%' in a file name. But then I was successful copying the folder containing this problem file to the hfs+ drive that is shared by copying to a FAT32 USB drive as an intermediary. (NTFS (virtual) > FAT32 USB>HFS+). So, it's not that the filename is the problem.

Given that the file is acceptable to both filesystems, is this a bug in Fusion that prevents a file with such a name from being copied from the guest VM to a shared folder on the host?

I've attachd the zipped folder should anyone wish to try it for themselves. There are a couple of hidden files in the folder as well but they appear to be innocent bystanders in this question.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MacNoo
Contributor
Contributor

Is no one using shared folders in Fusion to get R/W access to an hfs+ partition? while that may be the safest choice, I'm hoping there is someone with experience.

0 Kudos