VMware Communities
CBPons
Contributor
Contributor

Can't copy VM (.vmwarevm) to external HDD

I have a VM with WIN 8.1 pro with programme I did not use any more. But I need to keep the data for the fiscal authorities. So I created a new VM to have a clean WIN with the new programs. The old VM size is about 107GB. My iMac has a 500GB SSD and I want to copy the not used VM to a external HD to store and release the space on my SSD. The copy-process starts and end at about 87GB with a notification that parts are missing and the process is cancelled. I tied to zip the VM but that doesn't work too. Does anyone have a idea how to copy or repair(?) the VM? The VM is still usable. I can run the VM without any problems.

MacOS 10.14.6, VMWare Fusion 10.1.6, VM with Windows 8.1 pro 64bit

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

How are you copying it?  If it's failing from Finder, then there's something wrong with the OS or hardware on your system.

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

You can export it to OVF:

Export a Virtual Machine to OVF Format

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
CBPons
Contributor
Contributor

I tried first by drag and drop. Error as mentioned above. Then I made a right-click on the file, selected copy file. And finally right-click in the destination folder and selected insert file. Same error. I can copy without any issue the new VM. I think there is no issue with the macOS or the hardware.

0 Kudos
CBPons
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the tip. As I understand in the description the tool is only for the pro version of Fusion. I use the standard version.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There's no need to do this within Fusion, and converting to OVF and back causes it's own set of issues.

Make sure Fusion is closed when you're copying it.

If the drive is failing (either source or destination), you may be able to copy smaller files while the larger one fails.  Run first aid in disk utility on both sides, and then change out the cable to the drive - bad cables can cause these issues too.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Another option is to use my backup software Vimalin (see my signature) that is designed to take care of these type scenarios.

If it can't copy your VM because of a missing or broken file then at least it should give you more details in the log when you look at the detailed level.

If unclear or needed you can send me a support bundle by email and I'll help (no charge)

You can use the free version of Vimalin for making the backup as well as any restore in the future.

FWIW, the backup format is open and documented at the website.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

this applies to both versions:

VMware Knowledge Base

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos