VMware Communities
jezza63
Contributor
Contributor

Can't connect windows XP machine to internet

Windows XP control panel indicates "Local Area Connection Connected, Firewalled". Vmware Fusion settings/ network shows Network Adapter NAT with green light. Yet I still get an error when trying to connect IE to internet. When I run "Network Diagnostics for Windows XP" it eventually asks me to restart my router. I do this and it provides a diagnostic log which includes the following:

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved

error Could not make an HTTP connection.

error Could not make an HTTPS connection.

error Could not make an FTP connection.

For the life of me I can't understand how the network connection status could be connected if I can't connect to the internet. This is probably a really simple problem but if someone could point me in the right direction I'd be most appreciative

0 Kudos
15 Replies
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

can you ping host OS?

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
dtracey
Expert
Expert

Hi jezza,

This sounds like name resolution - can you confirm that the DNS settings that are present on your host & router are the same as in the XP guest? Perhaps you can post an ipconfig /all here, as well as a screenshot of yuor Fusion VM networking settings (DHCP etc) of the vmnetwork that the guest is connected to?

Thanks,

Dan

jezza63
Contributor
Contributor

Hi tobias

Yes I can ping the host. See attached file

thanks

Jezza

0 Kudos
jezza63
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dan

I think that the DNS settings appear to be different on my host/router than in the XP guest. I'm not sure how to make them the same...set them manually? Here are some current screenshots of settings from the a) XP guest b) Macintosh preferences and c) my router.

Thanks for helping

Jezza

0 Kudos
jezza63
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tobias

When I run Network Diagnostics however, I get this ping failure

0 Kudos
dtracey
Expert
Expert

Hi Jezza,

Sorry for the delay - I'm in the UK.

It looks to me from your screenshots that both your router and VMware workstation are using the same IP subnet for DHCP?

In

VMware workstation - go to Edit - Virtual Network Editor - take a screenshot of the Summary and DHCP tabs.

Basically you can either used a NAT'd VMnet with a different subnet (e.g. 10.0.0.1) (you'll have to reconfigure the subnet in Virtual Network Editor) OR you can use bridged VMnet and turn off your VMware workstation DHCP server and allow your router to handle DHCP.

Let me know if this makes sense - it's early!

Dan

TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

You see, when you ping 127.0.0.1 you ping yourself without networking with host OS. Try to change in Fusion network config to bridge, and change Windows XP settings to the same as in host OS.

StarWind Software R&D

0 Kudos
jezza63
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dan

This might sound like a dumb question but where is the Virtual Network Editor. The drop down "Edit" menu in VMWare Fusion doesn't have that "Virtual Network Editor" option and it's not in Settings either.

0 Kudos
jezza63
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tobias

Thanks for your reply. Possibly a dumb question but where do I access the XP settings to change them to the same as the host?

thanks

Jezza

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

Not a problem: Network panel - network connections - local area connection - properties - TCP/IP v4. They all should be auto, in this case guest should get all properties.

StarWind Software R&D

0 Kudos
jezza63
Contributor
Contributor

Is this right? It was already set up on auto

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

Yes, all right. Also check, if your Fusion is configured to bridge connection. Than reboot VM.

StarWind Software R&D

0 Kudos
jezza63
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I've checked it is in bridged mode but I still can't get a connection as shown here. If I switch over to NAT mode it says "connected, firewalled" but I still can't access the net. It's quite late here so I have to go to bed but I'll have another go first thing in the morning. Got an early flight to catch tomorrow and won't be back at computer until monday. Thanks for your help.

cheers

Jezza

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

When you will back - write me, we`ll fix it )

StarWind Software R&D

0 Kudos
jezza63
Contributor
Contributor

Monday Australian time. Thanks so much for your help Tobias. Cheers

Jezza

On 08/09/2009, at 10:52 PM, TobiasKracht <communities-

0 Kudos