VMware Communities
blix3
Contributor
Contributor

Can't configure to autodetect physical CD/DVD

After installing 1.0 (51348) over the beta (49528) on my iMac 20, I can no longer configure automatic detection of the physical CD/DVD. As with the beta, VMWare Tools refused to install from the virtual machine menu, so I had to reconfigure the CD/DVD to the windows.iso, which allowed me to run the tools setup.exe, as I was previously advised by etung to do. Again, this worked, but unlike the beta, the settings screen won't allow me to go back and reconfigure the CD/DVD for automatic detection. That option is greyed out.

I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the CD/DVD but that doesn't help. So I'm unable to use my physical CD/DVD with the final release. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you able to tell Fusion to use a specific drive?

0 Kudos
blix3
Contributor
Contributor

No, the option to specify a drive is limited to cdrom0. If I choose that, no CD/DVD is shown in Explorer. What I don't understand is why I could just check the autodetect option in the beta, but it's greyed out in the final release.

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you make sure that there are no snapshots and the VM is not suspended?

Also, if you create a new Virtual Machine (you don't need to do an OS install) are the cdrom options there?

If not, can you please attach /var/log/install.log and also the vmware.log file for the VM?

0 Kudos
blix3
Contributor
Contributor

No snapshots, not suspended . . . but I just took another look at settings and noticed the auto detection is no longer greyed out, so I selected it and the CD/DVD now shows up in Explorer. I've shut down and restarted XP and Fusion several times today, so I'm not sure exactly when or why this problem was resolved.

Thanks for your responses! I've been VERY pleased with Fusion, notwithstanding a few temporary problems.

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Glad to hear thats working for you. Let us know if you have any further problems with that.

0 Kudos