VMware Communities
StevenMichaud
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't boot into recovery partition on macOS 11 (Big Sur)

I've installed macOS 11 beta clients on a VMware Fusion 12.0.0 host (running on the latest macOS 10.15.7) in a couple of different ways. But in none of them have I ever been able to boot into the recovery partition. I follow the standard procedure (press Cmd-R as the virtual machine is restarting). But then I see a series of aborted attempts to launch the recovery app that lasts as long as I hold the Cmd-R keys. When I let the keys go, I get a "normal" boot.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who's seen this, but so far I haven't seen any bug reports. So here we go 🙂

I've installed macOS 11 beta clients both as an upgrade from macOS 10.15.7 and directly (by dragging the "Install macOS Big Sur Beta" app onto the "Select the Installation Method" window). This bug happens with both kinds of client. Cmd-R does boot into the recovery partition when used from a macOS 11 beta installation on actual hardware. So I know this isn't a bug in macOS 11 itself, or not only a bug in macOS 11. I assume macOS 11 has changed how the recovery partition works, and Fusion hasn't yet caught up with these changes.

I did my initial client installations of macOS 11 using the Beta 6 (build 20A5364e) "Install macOS Big Sur Beta" app. Since then I've been upgrading them from within the client.

30 Replies
pkelm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wondering why another workaround isn't mentioned here: Booting the macOS installer from CD/DVD.

1) Create an ISO from the macOS installer, e.g. https://osxdaily.com/2020/12/14/how-create-macos-big-sur-iso/

2) A CD/DVD drive should already be present in the VM. If not, add a SATA CD/DVD drive to your VM.

3) Select the ISO file in VMWare and ensure that "Connect CD/DVD" is checked.

4) In the VM settings, select to boot from CD

David-Anderson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If interesting in creating a second drive with a Big Sur installer that can be used as a substitute for Big Sur macOS Recovery, then see here. If you want to use Big Sur macOS Recovery to disable SIP, then alternatives can be found as answers to this question.

0 Kudos
Steven_Michaud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This still isn't fixed in VMware Fusion 12.1.1, which was just released.

0 Kudos
Steven_Michaud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just updated to Fusion 12.1.2 and reinstalled VMWare Tools. This bug still isn't fixed.

0 Kudos
mchinemail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The option to create an ISO from the Installer app, then mount the ISO via the CD/DVD setting for the client VM, WORKED for me.  Fusion 12.1.2 running on Catalina, with a Big Sur 11.4 VM.

hdiutil create -o /tmp/MacBigSur -size 13500m -volname MacBigSur -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J

hdiutil attach /tmp/MacBigSur.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/MacBigSur

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/MacBigSur –nointeraction

(The Install MacOS Big Sur.app should be in your Applications folder, otherwise adjust the path as necessary. BE SURE to include the '.app' after the installer name, or you may get an error (I did unless i had the .app).

sudo hdiutil detach /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur/ -force

hdiutil convert /tmp/MacBigSur.dmg -format UDTO -o ~/Desktop/MacBigSur.cdr

mv ~/Desktop/MacBigSur.cdr ~/Desktop/BigSur.iso

You should now see file BigSur.iso on the Desktop

DELETE the dmg file in /tmp folder after.

----------

Now, open the settings for the VM, select the ISO file to mount as the CD/DVD, remember to enable connecting the CD/DVD drive. Then in settings 'Startup Disk', select to boot from the CD/DVD drive
The VM will boot to the Installer / Recovery mode, open a Terminal windows and do 'csrutil disable'. SHUT DOWN.
Disconnect the ISO file in the VM settings (autodetect), OR uncheck Enable the CD/DVD drive.  In 'Startup Disk' setting select the Hard Disk 1 as the Startup Device. ReStart.
VM should load as normal, open Terminal window and do 'csrtutil status' to confirm SIP is disabled.

This WORKED FOR ME.  No need to create a 2nd drive, no partial install of macOS.

vladalenko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1. press the option key while turning up the VM.

boot from a file > Recovery > <...> > boot.efi

0 Kudos
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@vladalenko that stopped for me to work since Big Sur.

On which host/guest configuration are you?

Does it work for you?

Thanks

0 Kudos
bogdam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It’s 23 February 2022 and it’s still not fixed.

Steven_Michaud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@chrisleat's workaround works for macOS 11 and 12, but it doesn't for macOS 13 (Ventura). I tested with the first (and current) beta, build 22A5266r. Sigh 😞

For the record, I installed build 22A5266r over macOS 11.6.6 build 20G624, on VMware Fusion 12.1.2, running on a macOS 10.15.7 host.

0 Kudos
Steven_Michaud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

But wait, it *does* work if you change @chrisleat 's last step (step 6) and add one more:

6. Choose Virtual Machine : Power On To Firmware

7. Cursor down to "EFI VMware Virtual SATA Hard Drive (2.0)" and press Return/Enter.

The number ("2.0") will depend on how many hard drives you added to your VM, and in what order.

0 Kudos
cmirchandani
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

chrisleat's solution worked for me. I was having issues resizing a disk and needed to boot from the recovery disk to resize the disk. It worked like a charm. I was running macOS Monterey 12.6.5, downloaded the macOS Ventura 13.3.1 installer, created the recovery disk from the macOS Ventura 13.3.1 installer, and booted from that recovery disk and had no issues.

I tried wolfferine's solution, but had an issue with the last step as there was no boot.efi file. There were a bunch of files and many started with boot.efi and there about the same number of other files. None of the files I selected did anything. I was exhaustive in my search for the correct disk and boot.efi file and I rebooted and tried again several times. I don't know if something is different with newer versions of macOS and/or VMware Fusion or maybe there is something wrong with my recovery disk?

VMware, if this is still and issue it needs to be fixed.

0 Kudos