VMware Communities
agoodpub
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Upgrade to Windows 8.1 on Fusion 5

I tried (many times now) to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 using the download from the Windows store.  When it asks to restart it comes up with an error saying

Couldn't update to Windows 8.1

Sorry, we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1. We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC.

0xC1900101 - 0x20017

Searching on google for that error I see several people getting that error (although not using vmware) and Microsoft's response is that it is a driver problem.  They say to make sure all Windows updates are done (I have done)

Anyone else got this and fixed it?

I'm using Fusion 5.0.3 on a 2012 Macbook Retina

(I have been able to update my Parallels Windows 8 VM on the same machine, but when I import the Parallells 8.1 into Fusion it juts goes into a reboot loop)

I have also got a running 8.1 preview in Fusion.

62 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No.  The problem is that Windows 8.1 itself no longer supports the LSI Logic SCSI controller, so it's not really something we can fix unless we get into the business of writing and maintaining drivers for 3rd-party hardware on 3rd-party operating systems...

You'll need to change the VM's storage from LSI Logic SCSI to either LSI Logic SAS or to SATA (AHCI) before attempting to upgrade the guest to Windows 8.1.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Graniter
Contributor
Contributor

dariusd wrote:

To work around the issue, you can switch the drive to IDE, as docangle mentioned, or if you are confident with editing the VM's configuration file, it should also suffice to power off the VM, change the line

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

to

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsisas1068"

This didn't work for me (Windows 8 preview upgraded to full Windows 8).

After trying the above Windows refused to load and tried to run Repair (which failed).

Reverting the config file to the original setting let me boot back into Windows 8.

0 Kudos
AusS2000
Contributor
Contributor

Just wondering why you don't pin the solution to the original post?

I had to search through 3 pages before I found the solution.

0 Kudos