VMware Communities
Virtual_Jeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't Install Driver for Sony Digital Voice Recorder

I'm running Fusion v6 and a Windows 7 Home Premium virtual machine. The Sony Digital Voice Editor Software installs fine, but doesn't recognize the voice recorder (ICD SX-25, an older model) when I connect via USB. I've told Fusion to have Windows, not MacOS, recognize the USB device. From error messages I've received and what I can see in the Windows device manager, it appears that the driver for the device hasn't been installed.

When I installed the software on a Windows 2000 virtual machine I ran into the same problem of the recorder not being recognized.

On the other hand, I had no problems at all after installing the software on my wife's Lenovo PC running Windows XP Professional. The genuine PC recognizes the recorder and I can work with the voice files on it. Help!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Virtual_Jeff,

Are you running the latest drivers and Digital Voice Editor software (currently 3.3.01) available on Sony's website?  Sony eSupport - ICD-SX25 - Drivers & Software

I have previously encountered the same trouble you describe (works on physical, not recognized in a virtual machine) with an ancient ICD-P28, but it's been years since I tried it and I was unaware of the newer drivers until just now... maybe they will help...

Cheers,

--

Darius

Virtual_Jeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I did install the latest software package from Sony's web site. Thanks for checking, Darius.

———

Jeff

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OK, it was worth a try.

Last time I investigated the problem with my ICD-P28 (years ago) and the older Digital Voice Editor software, I concluded that the hardware is not compliant with the USB specification... From a USB perspective, the device and its driver are quite a mess, and it seemed to be a matter of luck that the device is capable of functioning in the real world at all.

I can pass my ICD-P28 over to our USB team and ask them to take another look, but my recollection suggests that it is unlikely that the device will be supportable.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you could collect some logs and device information I can try to compare what's happening for you with Darius's device. Please install "Hardware IO Tools for Xcode" on your OS X host and "USBView" in your Windows guest. From the OS X tools you will find an application called "USB Prober" which can be used to generate a "Bus Probe" that will give me detailed information about the devices connected to your system, including the recorder. A screenshot of USBView with the recorder device selected will do the same in the Windows guest so I can compare the two.

0 Kudos
Virtual_Jeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, rgrant. Thanks for your follow-up on this issue. I've attached the file output from USB Prober and a screenshot of the info from USB View pertaining to the Sony Voice Recorder. I really appreciate your looking into this.  -Jeff Frankel

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can I get the output of the "Bus Probe" tab on OS X as well?

0 Kudos
Virtual_Jeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah, now I get it. Here's the Bus Probe output. The Sony device appears to be the last device reported on in the file.

0 Kudos