VMware Communities
Interlaw
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Add a Printer--Help!

I've installed Fusion, and set up a Windows XP VM. Software (Windows programs) installed fine. The only problem is that I can't seem to add printers. There are two--one is a networked HP Officejet Pro L7580, and the other is a Xerox Phaser 8560 shared from a Windows machine on the network.

When I go to the Add Printers box, the network shows up fine, but neither printer appears. Anyone have any suggestions? I really need to set up printing quickly.

Brett

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Change the target Virtual Machine's Network from the default of NAT to Bridged and then release/renew the IP Address and then setup the printers the same way as if the Virtual Machine was a Physical Machine as there is no difference with the exception of the Host's Firewall. Also be aware of the Guest OSes Firewall as well.

Have a look at:

0 Kudos
Interlaw
Contributor
Contributor

Woody:

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I did just what you suggested (and read the excellent article you refer to) before I posted, and it didn't result in either of the printers showing up.

Any other ideas?

Brett

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure how you're trying to install the printers however if the Virtual Machine's IP Address is on the same Subnet as the networked HP Officejet Pro L7580 Printer then the Printer Software Setup should have a Utility that scans the Network and should find it or if you know it's IP Address you should be able to address it in that manner. I'm assuming that since you said "one is a networked HP Officejet Pro L7580" that it is attached to the LAN via a CAT5 Patch Cable and you have either assigned it a Static IP Address (which you should) or it's getting it's IP Address via a DHCP Server of some sort. I'm also assuming that the Virtual Machine has Network Connectivity. In other words it can get to the Internet in Bridged Mode.

What is the IP Address of the networked HP Officejet Pro L7580 and can you ping that IP Address from the Guest?

As far as the Xerox Phaser 8560 shared from a Windows machine on the network can you ping the Windows computer from the Guest and if yes and the printer is properly shared and the permissions correct then you should be able to see it by
Computer_Name\Printer_Share_Name or
Computer_IP_Address\Printer_Share_Name

0 Kudos