VMware Communities
hanhau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can run Virtual Machine from external harddrive?

Hi, I am running vmware 11 on a MacBookPro 2019.

I would need a larger Win virtual machine that 100GB, thus I would like to move the virtual machine to an external harddisk which only will contain that vm.

Can this be done? Will Fusion know where to find the VM?

Any special tricks to apply?

Tips, in particular good ones, are welcome.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hanhau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all who have replied to my question. I'm quite convinced it will work, but will try it and then move my Win10 wirtual machine to a small disk of its own.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, so long as the performance is good enough to run your VM.

Default File Location of a Virtual Machine

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Use a USB-C External SSD, and it should work fine.  Spinning external disks are really really slow.

And make very sure that you shut down/suspend the VM and quit VMWare before either sleeping the system or unplugging the external drive.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

This should not be a problem. In fact I've used VMware Fusion for several years like this when I was living abroad.

Basically you delete the VM (choose keep) from the VM library, then move (or copy) the VM to your external disk and register it again (File -> Open)

On starting up the VM choose "Move" and not "Copy" as copy will make changes to your virtual hardware (new id's, if you run Windows that means re-activate), by choosing "Move" you prevent that from happening.

A couple of recommendations.

- Do not let your hard disk go to sleep (System Preferences -> Energy saver ), you want to prevent macOS from ejecting the disk when a VM is running.

- Depending on an external disk means that your setup is more fragile. Unplugging a disk by accident when a VM is running on it might corrupt the VM. I've had disconnects without much damage, but the risk of loosing the whole VM is real. IOW, make sure you get good and regular backups on another external disk. Plan for disaster, just in case the cat uses your disk as a sup board. Smiley Wink

- Use the fastest disk you can afford and use a connection that can cope with that speed. eg. if you buy an NVMe disk, make sure it isn't connecting via USB3 as you won't be able to use that awesome speed. A simple SSD would do in that case.

- Avoid slow laptop kind of drives (5400 rpm rotating disks don't cut it - at all, an absolute minimum would be 7200 rpm disks if you buy a spinning disk instead of a SSD/NVMe type of disk)

- Format the disk as HFS if you only store VMs on it (you don't need APFS disk wide snapshots for a VM, it does not help)

Oh almost forgot - Don't use Time Machine for making backups for VMs as that is not a reliable way to do so.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Tags (2)
hanhau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all who have replied to my question. I'm quite convinced it will work, but will try it and then move my Win10 wirtual machine to a small disk of its own.

0 Kudos