VMware Communities
prob142
Contributor
Contributor

Can not save files on Mac Host via shared folders on "network" with Windows Fall Creator Update, VMware 8.5.8

I ran the Windows Fall Creator Update... and since then I can no longer save files that are on my Mac accessed via a shared network folder. This was working without issue before the update. Wondering if there is a fix?

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, 64 bit

VMware 8.5.8

MacOS X Sierra 10.12.6

I turned off all anti-virus & firewalls on Windows

Until I can resolve this, I reverted windows to the previous build, and I'm able to save files again.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rob

0 Kudos
12 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Rob,

If you are comfortable editing the registry then the fix most likely is:

Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order 
Name: ProviderOrder
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "RDPNP, LanmanWorkstation,webclient"

Modify to:

Data: "vmhgfs,RDPNP, LanmanWorkstation,webclient" 

IOW, the windows update most likely stripped "vmhgfs" from the networking provider list.

If you are not comfortable editing the registry then the solution is to re-install VMware Tools.

Do not try a repair install from within the Guest OS as it likely will not fix this, unfortunately the "Reinstall VMware Tools" from the drop down menu also falls in that same category.

You really need the guest OS to reboot inbetween uninstall and install to make sure that all the files from VMware Tools are in the correct locations and of the correct version.

In short follow these steps:

• Uninstall VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS
  • Install VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS.

Follow the steps from the installer to completely uninstall VMware Tools 

• Reboot the guest OS.
  • Then from the Virtual Machine menu select "Install VMware Tools"

If no installer appears, go to the DVD-rom within windows and click "setup" (for 32 bits windows) or "setup64" (for 64 bits windows)

Once you see an installer, click "Next" until Finish, keep the defaults.

• Reboot the guest when done installing (it will ask by itself to reboot)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
prob142
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I tried to uninstall the VMware tools, but I can't even find the program installation package to remove it. I looked through a number of directory structures on the local disk to point the uninstall process to it, without any luck. Suggestions?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Perhaps it's not installed anymore?

What do you see in the Fusion Virtual Machine menu?

Does it say "Update VMware Tools" / "Reinstall VMware Tools" / "Install VMware Tools" ?

Whatever it says, it does not hurt to try, worst case scenario it just didn't help.

Edit:

In Windows 10, the uninstall can normal found at:

Start button -> Settings ->

pastedImage_0.png

Then go to Apps:

pastedImage_1.png

Scroll down in "Apps and Features"

pastedImage_2.png

That there is the uninstaller.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
prob142
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, option in the menu is to reinstall. I'm going through that process now.

I'm wondering if the issue I'm having is from trying to run this version of Windows in Fusion v8.5.8 instead of v10? VMware's website does say that v10 supports Windows Fall Creator update... but I only expected needing to upgrade if I wanted to update to High Sierra from Sierra. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Officially Fusion 10 is what supports Fall Creator update, but I don't know at the moment if there are problems in Windows 10 that prevent you from using it.

Like you I would just try, but I guess it depends a bit on how depended you are on Fusion for getting your work done.

If it is critical then considering Fusion 10 would be worthwhile (but to be fair I would probably postpone updating to the Fall Creators Update)

It all depends on need in order to be able to say something sensible about this.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
prob142
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried to postpone it but Windows keeps downloading the update and insisting on installing it on the next start-up. I've tried googling on how to stop it, to no avail. suggestions?

Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

That depends on the version of Windows 10. If you need to have Windows 10 Professional or better.

In that case you can postpone the update, under "Settings" -> Update Security -> Advanced ->

When in Creators Update (from earlier this year)

You can then select the Branch -> "Current Branch" or "Current Branch for business"

You can also defer feature updates up to 365 days.

On the home version of Windows 10 you don't have those options AFAIK.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
prob142
Contributor
Contributor

you're right. Windows Home has no such option, hence my inability to do anything but follow the upgrade path. It's frustrating and I'm concerned about risking software issues for my work environment, but fingers are crossed.

Thanks a lot for all your help!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You are welcome.

Well before running an update you can take a snapshot.

Which at least gives you a way to go back. The problem with Windows 10 however is that it will update without your consent too.

Now here comes something that resembles a sales message and for that I am sorry.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't developed a backup product because I nowadays most of the times refrain from even touching this topic in the forums.

In that case my suggestion is to depend on backups and please note that Time Machine is not reliable for Virtual Machine backups, see this link at my site for why (Why is Time Machine not good for making backups of Virtual Machines? – Vimalin )

You can make backups by hand (with Fusion shut down -> copy the whole bundle to an external disk)

You could also use Vimalin, without buying a license, works similar to the manual copy, but automates the backup and restore process of the VM for you.

A license would get you that Vimalin runs the backup for you automatically on a preset schema.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
LouisChow
Contributor
Contributor

I've try to look at the registry entry, it's correct but still not work at Office 2016. Is there any idea?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello LouisChow,

If the registry entry is there and VMware Tools is installed properly you should at least be able to access the shared folder.

Can you access it and save files there via Windows Explorer.

If yes, then I doubt that there's anything you can do and it probably is a bug that is specific to Office 2016 and the VMware shared folders feature.

If no, then my suggestion is to uninstall VMware Tools, reboot and re-install VMware Tools.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
parcorrector
Contributor
Contributor

Hi LouisChow!

I don't see any other solution than take back the Windows Update and wait for the next to do it better Smiley Sad

0 Kudos