VMware Communities
themick171
Contributor
Contributor

Can not access mac partition in windows xp

I have windows xp home installed on a partition (FAT32) on my macbook. I want to allow windows xp to see certain files on my mac partition. I can't do it though. Any ideas.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

I think this has nothing to do with VMware Fusion! (or did you omit some info?) To answer your question, google for hfs for windows. First link should give you loads of options. I guess newest Mac OS X uses HFS+ or HSFX.

Mr_Flibble1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just copy everything I need access to over to a Fat 32 partition out of habit, I use that partition for sharing. However, you may want to take a look at some of the sofware listed here:

http://www.macwindows.com/disks2.html

Note, as a general rule, it is not good practice to allow a windows system to mount a Unix filesystem, and HFS+ (As used by the mac) is a Unix file system.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You want to use Shared Folders, which will make select Mac folders you choose available to Windows. See the Online Help for setting up Shared Folders and that should address your problem.

Pat

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have windows xp home installed on a partition (FAT32) on my macbook. I want to allow windows xp to see certain files on my mac partition. I can't do it though. Any ideas.

It's obvious from the replies so far that your question is being interpreted two entirely different ways as there is ambiguity in the way you have asked your question and as such either answer might be right.

You should have a look at and be a bit more explicit and specific when asking questions in order to avoid any confusion by the replies to your question.

0 Kudos
themick171
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone,

Sorry for the ambiguity, I got it working, all I had to do was enable shared folders in settings in vmware fusion, then add shared folder. It worked then. AGain thanks everyone for your help.

0 Kudos