VMware Communities
Doc69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can no longer open file on Mac from Win XP VM after upgrade to Fusion 12.

After upgrading from Mojave to Big Sur, and moving from Fusion 11 to 12, Microsoft Access 2002 in a Win XP VM no longer opens MS Access files located in a shared folder on my Mac. Whenever I try to open a MS Access file located on my Mac, I now get a window saying "Open File  - Security Warning", and then a window saying MS Access cannot open this files because it's located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site". On Mojave and Fusion 11, neither of these two windows appeared. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

That's a windows security warning, not much to do with VMware itself.
Not sure why it would behave different after the aforementioned upgrades as I'm not really seeing the relation.

Having said that.. it might somehow have been triggered by the upgrade somehow, so I am not saying that you are wrong.

Either way, look here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2638862/security-warning-when-opening-file-from-network-share

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Doc69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the issue is probably with Windows, but it must have been triggered by the upgrade somehow. If I boot up in Mojave and use Fusion 11.5, then I don't get this issue. But using Big Sur and Fusion 12.1 I do. I tried the tips as far as I could in your link but it didn't help.

Anyway, I successfully installed Access 2002 in a Windows 10 VM instead, and there it works fine to open files from the shared folders. So I'll just use that VM instead.

0 Kudos